Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

We need a group buy for this!  500mW red!

Check this out:

http://www.photonic-products.com/products/laserdiodes_visible/sony_visible.html

I emailed them for prices, I'll post them as soon as I hear back.  If they're not insanely expensive, (which they probably are, so I shouldn't get my hopes up) maybe we can get a group buy going.  Below is part of the data sheet from the .pdf on the site.  If this works out, you'll have to get to work on a driver for these beasts, Daedal ;)  Man, I hope these diodes aren't out of everyone's price range.

Attachments

• sld1332v_info.JPG
    sld1332v_info.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 94

Aseras

Re: We need a group buy for this!  500mW red!

ohhh.. 9mm. I was thinking it was a c-mount for sure.

Might be worth a shot, but.. I got a feeling unless we are ordering in the thousands ( or millions ), they are firstly not gonna even bother, and secondly the price will be absurd.

Daedal

... Anxiously awaiting an update... ;D

--DDL

Sorry to be a downer here, but to restate stuff already said above, here are the problems:

- Unless you're buying many tens/hundreds of thousands at a time, the prices will be outrageous, and there's a good chance the company won't even give you the time of day.

- At that spec, the diodes are going to be multi-mode anyway, which will, to put it lightly, suck!

Aseras

You know mulitmode diodes aren't that bad, you just need to correct the profile. The link daedal posted is a good example.

Can you help me out here? I tried wikiing multimode, but it is not really clear to me. Does it mean multiple frequencies, or just really bad beam geometry?

Aseras

single mode, means the diode emit's a dot. it's a point source.

multimode is either a line or stripe, or a series of lines or stripes.. or a series of singlemode diodes together to make a bigger output.

multimode can mean a handful of things but usually it means axial mode rather than transverse mode.

axial means the laser beam specs aren't constant, there's fluctuations so it changes, but it's microscopic. you see didoes with fast axis and slow axis sides and diffrent beam specs for the divergance and angles.

transverse means it's changing wavelengths on you. it can jump from one to another or emit all at once. this is almost always filtered. ( for bare diodes it's rare, you might have a few random spikes ) you usually see this when you pump something in a cavity, like the diffrence between blue and green lasers even though they ave the same crystals it's the difference in the filtering and cavity that makes the diffrent colors.

I can't type worth a damn today...

tomcat

what E said ^ :p so yeah if you do it right it would just be like a singlemode for what we use it ( bright red dot/beam) it may even have large spikes into IR (more burning) but i gotta geuss these would be damn expensive

Aseras said:
You know mulitmode diodes aren't that bad, you just need to correct the profile. The link daedal posted is a good example.

IMO, 5mRad divergence with a 4mm diameter at aperture is pretty bad. Most of us here are used to nice 0.5-2.0mRad lasers that have <2.5mm diameters. The higher power reds, IRs, etc. with multi-mode diodes end up with horrendous beam specs that make them very poor candidates for many applications like lasershows. Unfortunately that is something you just can't correct - hence the need for DPSS or gas red in quality laser projectors.