Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wattage required to destroy a cctv camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aseras

50mw flashblind most CCD cameras but doesn't damage them. over 100mw and you can damage some. over 200mw and it'll start poking holes and blowing out pixels.

looks like these ( the black spatter pattern on both images )

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

that's my sony camrea I use for lasers because it hold up rather well, but it still has some ccd burns.

over about 400mw and you just blow a big black hole wherever the laser toches the ccd/cmos.

I've found that a CMOS sensor has a slightly lower damage threshold than does a CCD. YMMV

Aseras

Chris. said:
And I think you could be pretty damn accurate, considering that the divergence of a laser will equally limit you.
That and IMO 150mW is too low, the cameras round my school have a 'black' mirror type coating which would take huge powers to penatrate.

As long as the beam fits in the aperture of the camera and the irridiance is high enough it'll cook it.

Also for the black covered cameras. That black filter is IR transparent. ( just like coke is transparent to IR light, google it ) and if the camera has IR capability and IR isn't filtered ( most B&W cctv camreas are not IR filtered ) it WILL fry almost instantly with any IR laser. they are very very sensitive.

In reality, anyone intent on doing this would just buy a 500mW Scorpius and be done with it. If that doesn't work then you are going to struggle to find anything more powerfull in such a portable package.

You have never posted here before, and your first thread is about how to 'hypothetically' wipe out a CCTV camera? Yeah, that's just the publicity the laser scene needs.

I've got plenty of laser more powerful than that, I've got a 1.1 watt hades ( which is now called scoprious ) as well as a herc 400 that peaks off over 800mw for 5-10 minutes. I've been using it to cut wasp nests off of my house this week from 5-10 feet away.

Both of those are very expensive. If you really want to take out cctv cameras you'd be better off using a bb or .22 rifle. they are cheap you can be hundreds of feet away. Only thing I'd say a laser would be good for is disabling a heavily armored camera. Most traffic camera now have metal shutters so they only are open when it's taking a pic and then they close.

If you just want to hide from a traffic camera again they all almost see infrared. it would be easier to just line you license plate with IR leds and white it out to the camera. people won't see the light at all, but the camera will see a big ball of overexposed whitespace.

Aseras said:
[quote author=Chris. link=1197475069/0#9 date=1197556927]

If you just want to hide from a traffic camera again they all almost see infrared. it would be easier to just line you license plate with IR leds and white it out to the camera.

<*heads off to Radio Shack>

Lorgar

I hit an old web cam with my DIY running at 300ma it blinds it but no damage even after a min of fine focus
and this thing goes through 2 layers of commercial grade electrical tape like it was a can liner

aseras, they tested putting ir diodes around a licensplate on mythbusters and it didnt work, they lined it with about 200 and it didnt change anything.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

wooooooolazer said:
aseras, they tested putting ir diodes around a licensplate on mythbusters and it didnt work, they lined it with about 200 and it didnt change anything.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Firstly, That was LIDAR, not speed cameras. secondly, Aseras is suggesting disabling the camera's ability to read you license plate, not disabling the camera's ability to detect your speed.

danielbriggs said:
Why not blast it with a few watts of infrared?

Because most cameras have IR filters :)

Aseras

Cyparagon said:
Firstly, That was LIDAR, not speed cameras. secondly, Aseras is suggesting disabling the camera's ability to read you license plate, not disabling the camera's ability to detect your speed.

[quote author=danielbriggs link=1197475069/0#13 date=1197566250]Why not blast it with a few watts of infrared?

Because most cameras have IR filters :)[/quote]

IR filters remove a percentage of IR you blast it with enough IR and it'll still go though. you hit it with enough IR long enough and the IR filter will crack or shatter. The energy they absorb has to go somewhere.

L

likewhat

Basically a pulsed laser would destroy it in about 20 ns since the power is so high. Just use one of those targeting lasers that everyone buys from ebay.

Krutz

/me likes freedom, including freedom of information.. the "wrong" people have all and any information anyway.

you will only need little optical power, my guess would be that 20mw can be damaging in good/bad cases. same problem as with the eye, the lens focuses it very sharply onto the retina/ccd/cmos. many/all b/w cams will see IR.

three problems i see, for someone willing to destroy cams:

-you need to point the dot onto the lens. sounds too clear to even write down? dont forget that the lens on a webcam is up to 5mm small.. bigger objectives/lenses still need to be hit, and in that case with the proper angle too, else the beam is focused somewhere inside the tube.

-you will (normally) only kill single pixels. to "erase" the cam completely that way, you have to move your lasersource. ..would be a funny video, i bet! :)
i wouldnt say its impossible to kill the chip entirely with one shot, but dont know what damage-mechanism would fit for that. shorting out entire lines perhaps?

-you dont know if its dead, you dont know if you are recorded. but people watching the screen will know immediately that something is going on. robbing a bank? they have a 1 minute advantage now.

to blind it temporarily should be easier and more practical, perhaps use IR leds. several, if you like. a handfull of those, 10W IR output, aspherical lenses, and there you go. insist on lasers? use a pointer as target-laser.

built it portable, and post pictures! ..whoever feels spoken to ;-)

manuel

Krutz

Aseras said:
DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

that's my sony camrea I use for lasers because it hold up rather well, but it still has some ccd burns.

over about 400mw and you just blow a big black hole wherever the laser toches the ccd/cmos.

are these from direct hits, or reflections? i am sure direct hits?

manuel

Aseras

both.. There's a slightly less visible circle burnt into the very center that was from observing a >500mw green dot for less than 15 seconds. you won't notice it unless I take a picture in broad daylight ( like of the sky ). I'll try and find one yo cans see it on.

The little specs are from various lasers making direct hits while scanning. It has taken a prolonged direct hit from a
50mw 532 with no damages visible.

Aseras

Founds some images with the ccd burn apparent. This developed after observing the dot of my hercules on a white wall. It's very slight so you only see it in bright sunlight and with full zoom.

laserburn1.jpg

laserburn2.jpg

Krutz

thanks for clarifying!
my cam has several dots like that.. *must* have come from the sun, but have no idea when and where.. though they werent there before i went to india..? *scratches head*

well, so it at least seems that every cam/sensor has a very different damage-treshold..?

manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.