Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Waterproof ebay 488

Hi guys, quick review on one of the cheap 488 options available on ebay.

A couple weeks ago, I got a notification that there was a $45 488 handheld for sale... I figured it was listed incorrectly and took a shot at it to see if they'd honor it. Turns out, after buying they took down the listing and re-listed at $67. They did honor my purchase however; so I figured I'd share my thoughts on this with you guys.

This thing uses the GH0485 Sharp diode (same number on the can as my batches)
My batch:

This one:

Color wise, this is much more on the green side than the blue side. Only under warm lighting does this have any semblance of blue to it. It's almost as green as my 495:

While unmeasured, basing it off the ones I do have measured I'm gonna guess this is around 493nm. Just a guess.

About the build quality. This thing is surprisingly heavy. This blew away my expectations to be honest. I'm very surprised by how solid this feels. It clocks in around 165g without the battery.

So now onto the waterproof claim... Sure is under the conditions I put it under. See for yourself:

Ok... it wasn't fully submerged in those... How about this

Then after that, some water droplets stick to the front window:

But do dry off pretty well.

I've also run a separate test where I left it in the sink for a half hour. The insides remained dry. Short of doing a timelapse video, it's tough to show that.

Now about the color again... this is noticeably greener than all of my other GH0485's. I haven't gotten the chance to drain the battery to tell if it's CV or CC... if it's CV, they may have cranked the voltage a bit high on it. I've tested one of my own diodes with a CV driver and it does get very green at higher voltages than it's intended to run at. I'm not sure if mine was a lucky bin, or if it's just being abused. If anybody else gets one of these, please chime in about the color.

There you have it, just figured I'd post a small review on these. I think they're pretty decent overall.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Damn, that's a steal at $45, heck $67 is still a good price for a ~488nm, and waterproof too! :yh:
Thanks for sharing and giving it the water torture test.

Gazen

Thanks for the review! Do you know if that is the same model as the Q-line that LPS offers?

Thanks for the review! Do you know if that is the same model as the Q-line that LPS offers?

I think they're different models. On their site they say it takes a 18350 and looks shorter than the one I have which uses a 18650.

Very nice review, Zach. At least you got another >490nm laser for just $45.00. Do you know how much power it puts out? I'm wondering what current they set it at.

Nice find and review!! I may have to get this! Price is right. Although, I’d definitely have to have it spectro’d.
1UP
SGD:beer:

Paul,

I'm not sure what power it's putting out. If matches the brightness of one I'm running at 120mA. Probably in the neighborhood of 50-70mW. It's advertised as 60. I might want to send you this, my 495, and a zombie 490 to spectro someday. The zombie is by far the bluest one.

Last edited:
Sure, Zach. Anytime you're ready I'll be here. Send them along at your convenience. :D

Thanks for the review. It would be fun to play with a 488 in the bathtub! Or even better-beam shots in rain without worry.I am in the market for a 488 Cyan- I have a 492 in the mail from SanWu so this looks a little too close in color.

I got one of these lasers this afternoon; to the eye it looked identical to the 488nm argon ion laser line. It spectroed at 488.7nm which is damn close indeed!
It was advertised as a 1mW unit; however it measured 68mW! :evil:

I'm officially a very happy camper!!! :drool:

Nice! I wish mine was on the blue side of these diodes. Comparing visually to some of the other ones I have using these diodes, mine has to be in the mid 490's. Taking a guess at 493 until I send it to Paul

Last edited:
Yeah, that Sharp diode can measure anywhere from 486.5nm to 493.0nm. It is only a few nms, but in this range the color changes dramatically.