Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Want to see my house?

Yep, I know about the tower fire and subsequent block fires Curtis.
At the end of the day, unfortunately, we can have all the fire codes we want in place
but greed and corruption 'wins out' sometimes.

:yabbem:

You know when you hear a fire truck siren around here it is rarely a fire. It is almost always someone in need of medical attention. That is in the purview of the fire dept. here. We have very few residential fires around here. Few tragedies compare to the great San Francisco fire, which was actually caused by an earthquake, but was hushed up at the time because no one would move to an earthquake center back then. Time is relative and if you were young or not born in 1979, it might seem like a long time ago. I was in my mid twenties and had already graduated college and was moving onto single life again.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Fire engines round here mainly seem to attend to road accidents.
As for the San Francisco fire/earthquake. It sure was a tragedy.
Oh and time sure is relative.

Andrew, that is exactly right. Greed and corruption is unfortunately what a lot comes down too. Either directly or indirectly.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

So sad it takes something so tragic to pull in new rules for safety:(
Wasn't it in the early 1900's that a high rise garment factory in NY caught fire and many many women were burnt or jumped out a window at 15 floor's to a horrible death. People were haunted even 80 years later from the sound they heard as they hit the ground. The greedy greedy owners locked the doors to the stairwells with chains so the young women couldn't take any extra breaks if they even got any at all. They were basicly very young and working as child slavery I believe..

We had a big amusement park called Paragon Park in MA that was built in 1913. The roller coaster was all wood and was said to have the 3rd or 4th biggest first dip in the world even in the 80's before it closed for good in 84. You could see patch work wood repair all over the structure and that first dip took your breath away plus all you heard and felt was rattling and loose wheels and taking the tight turns were frightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNV9dPVDD0o
This vid doesn't do it justice though as to it's first full dip feeling and clanking noise..

Last edited:
Many new fire codes were enacted, especially in New York city around the turn of the 19th century to the 20th. But, it wasn't just fire codes, labor laws were enacted allowing employees to organize into unions to have the ability to strike when management wouldn't pay a living wage or give a single day off from 10 and 12 hour working days. So, it was not just fire codes, but all sorts of things we take for granted now were brought about by unions who, by the power of organization, brought pressure to bear on greedy immoral employers that believed it was illegal to force them to pay a living wage as long as there were people willing to work for less. Seems we've come full circle back to union busting and the demise on the middle class.

Reactions: GSS