Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Want to see my house?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
My, my, my Andrew, you certainly have a lot of nice possesions; my house, my yacht, my bridge, my eerie fun house, all in your own backyard, very cool; I'm jealous. :D :crackup:

Those last Opera House photos are so sweet, love em; thanks for sharing! :beer: :kewlpics:

BTW, I see that the pesky security guard is long gone. :whistle:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I think you meant Andrew, Jeff. Although I do own all of these things myself too of course. :D

Are you having a senior moment, Jeff? These are not Curtis' photos, but Andrew's. Easy mistake, since they are in such close proximity to each other. :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, must be a senior moment, thanks for the heads-up, I've changed it. :)
You're right, Paul, it must be the fact that they're nearly neighbors that had me confused. :crackup:

No problem, Jeff. You are only one in a long line of these. Last one I remember was Alaskan calling, was it you(?), by another name. :crackup:

I have no reason to talk as my memory fails me far more often than I care to admit.

hehehe, thanks guys, I appreciate your lovely replies.
Jeff, buddy, don't feel bad, I saw it too but realised, of course, it was a simple mistake.
I once called Jerry, "Larry".... go figure. :cruckup:

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed my 'backyard".
These photos were taken at different times and over the space of a couple of years, as each one takes a while to create with my technique.
Also I have to wait till the crowds go away and the weather is suitable, so a lot of work has gone into these.

Cheers
RB

:beer:

Seeing how you had to work so hard to get these photos, Andrew, thanks for sharing them with us. I still have that creepy clown looking fun house burned into my memory. :eek:

Seeing how you had to work so hard to get these photos, Andrew, thanks for sharing them with us. I still have that creepy clown looking fun house burned into my memory. :eek:

Cheers Paul.
Yep, creepy clown is a no-go for me too.
Unfortunately there have been accidents there in the past.
The most infamous one was the 'Ghost Train Fire' in 1979.

"The Sydney Ghost Train fire was a fire on the night of 9 June 1979 at Luna Park Sydney. The fire killed six children and one adult, and destroyed the amusement park's ghost train." - Wiki.

Speculation runs rife, till this day, that it was a deliberate criminal act, but as yet, nothing's been proven.
See this short video: https://vimeo.com/68820860

I don't like going in there.

RB

Last edited:
There are always conspiracy theorists. Seems likely an old wooden train could catch fire and burn. It is a shame that the ride was enclosed so people could not get out. I would be leery about getting into such an old attraction as it likely hadn't been updated to fire codes, if they exist there, and was an accident waiting to happen.

That was what I thought after seeing that old wooden train enclosed in a wooden building waiting for a spark to set it off. I doubt it would be allowed here. That's some scary stuff when you think of it as a kid's attraction. : /

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Paul, the Fire codes have been significantly overhauled and tightened since 1979, all around the world, as we make advances and conduct detailed research into the subject.

:)

You make it sound like 1979 was a long time ago. I remember it well. It was the year before I moved to Colorado and the fire codes here were significant then. Sprinklers were common in large buildings and fire escapes had been around for over half a century. I owned a new brick home with three bedrooms and two full baths with an attached two car enclosed garage. It had a large brick fireplace in the living room. It was as nice as any new house one would pay $500,000 for here today. My point is, 1979 wasn't that long ago. We didn't have cell phones in everyone's pockets or laptop computers, but integrated circuits had been around for awhile and cars were already running on unleaded gas.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
1979 was a long time ago. :na:

Shame about the fire though. I think it’s also a shame that things have to happen first before known risks get dealt with.

Last edited:
You make it sound like 1979 was a long time ago. I remember it well. It was the year before I moved to Colorado and the fire codes here were significant then. Sprinklers were common in large buildings and fire escapes had been around for over half a century. I owned a new brick home with three bedrooms and two full baths with an attached two car enclosed garage. It had a large brick fireplace in the living room. It was as nice as any new house one would pay $500,000 for here today. My point is, 1979 wasn't that long ago. We didn't have cell phones in everyone's pockets or laptop computers, but integrated circuits had been around for awhile and cars were already running on unleaded gas.

No, I remember 1979 well Paul, I was twelve.
We lived in a two story, four bedroom, double brick home with two bathrooms and an on-suite, three fireplaces,
a four car garage and two living rooms, in one of Sydney's nicest suburbs.

My point was that there have been big strides made in fire protection since the late 70's, that's all.
This was an old ghost train ride fire, and for whatever reason, by hook or by crook, it caught alight.
The only deaths were the ones that actually got out of the train carriages, all the people that remained on the train survived.
It wasn't some huge fire on the scale of say San Francisco's 1906 fire.
It was an incident that I thought would be of interest to mention since there's still suspicion surrounding it.

The Sydney Opera House was opened to the public by Queen Elizabeth II in 1973.
Do you think they'd allow the Queen of England to enter a 'fire death trap' if Sydney had no Fire Codes in place?

My point simply was that Fire Prevention, all around the world, has dramatically improved in the last 40 odd years.

Check out this link below which states that fatalities from Residential Fires have almost halved in the USA since 1980, from 5200 deaths in 1980 down to 2735 in 2016.

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/Fire-statistics/Fires-by-property-type/Residential/Home-fires

Now with all those fire codes in place, are you saying to me you haven't heard one single fire engine siren since 1979 around your neighbourhood?

:yh:

1979 was a long time ago. :na:

Shame about the fire though. I think it’s also a shame that things have to happen first before known risks get dealt with.

Exactly Curtis.
On that dreadful day on September 11th, 2001, when those planes hit the towers,
who was to know that the 'fall-out' from asbestos would have far reaching ill effects on countless people, years down the line....

https://www.9news.com.au/9stories/2...d-rise-by-millions-due-to-toxic-asbestos-dust

We live and learn, don't we? :yabbem:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Asbestos is one of those materials we all wish we'd never started using.
As for living and learning, we can only hope.
We just had the anniversary of the Grenfell Tower fire over here four days ago. That's another example of something that should never of happened. But on the day of the anniversary another two tower block fires occurred. Thankfully not as bad as Grenfell.
But only because they didn't have that dangerous cladding. A lot of high rises do still.