Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Visible beam dot > 12km.

ATHE

Hi all,

I'm interested having a laser pointer with a visible beam dot who at least reaches 12km at night for demonstration in a local mountain.

I suppose I have chosen the right section 'cause I know that the brightest lasers are green and with the highest beam range.

I asked DLs and they suggested me the Hulk Ultra 350mW but I found it too pricey for my wallet.

Could you suggest me something else?

(Extremely thankful, John.)

P.S. Don't worry, no human will be harrased (including me)!!!!. :)

12km can be reached by a 5mw green, but for the dot to be visible from that distance something much stronger..

do you really need the dot to be visible? because just a visible beam is usually enough, you also won't be able to hold it still enough to precisely point at something at that distance.

i think you are looking for a 50-100mw green

ATHE

12km can be reached by a 5mw green, but for the dot to be visible from that distance something much stronger..

do you really need the dot to be visible? because just a visible beam is usually enough, you also won't be able to hold it still enough to precisely point at something at that distance.

i think you are looking for a 50-100mw green

yes, I really want the dot to be visible but I don't care if the dot is steady or not.

(I have as you see a WL 100+ green but the dot after 1.5-2 km is not visible so I doubt if the 50-100mW green will be enough....).

Last edited:

ATHE

You should buy some safety goggles as you upgrade you lasers !
Here are some very good ones: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles

Now about the laser, have a look on these two:
1) LZSK - 532nm 300mW High Power Green Laser Pointer Separate Crystal
2) LZSK - 532nm 400mW High Power Green Laser Pointer Separate Crystal

Jim

Hello Jim,

thanks for the goggle proposal (they seem very good).

About the lasers, I suppose that a 300mW one would be below this so the 400mW will be better. I should e-mail to the company about my demand.

Thanks anyway, John.

Hi all,

I'm interested having a laser pointer with a visible beam dot who at least reaches 12km at night for demonstration in a local mountain.

I suppose I have chosen the right section 'cause I know that the brightest lasers are green and with the highest beam range.

I asked DLs and they suggested me the Hulk Ultra 350mW but I found it too pricey for my wallet.

Could you suggest me something else?

(Extremely thankful, John.)

P.S. Don't worry, no human will be harrased (including me)!!!!. :)

Do you need to see the beam dot from the Laser's location or
do you want to see the Laser's beam from the target's location....:thinking:

Why do you need to see the beam dot at a distance of >12km..
what is it you are trying to demonstrate....:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:

Jerry

Lasing a target for aircraft to bomb? :crackup:

ATHE

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

firstly thanks for your message as your answers in the forum are very informating for me.

I want the dot to be visible from my view (I don't care if at the end of the beam the dot is large as soon as I see it from my pointing place).

My reason for that demonstration is that I want to prove to my family that a laser pointer can have such a power so as to continue to lend me money for my hobby (I am unemployed:yabbem:).

Thanks truly for your concerns, John.:yh:

mikzip

My reason for that demonstration is that I want to prove to my family that a laser pointer can have such a power so as to continue to lend me money for my hobby (I am unemployed:yabbem:).

I think your family will have to be quite rich for you to be able to accomplice your goal, my 532nm 650mW Jetlaser with a 10XBE will definitely not let me see the dot on a mountain covered in snow from about 5-6 km away, even in a really clear night, maybe if i used a tripod for the laser, and also a telescope on a tripod?? Best of luck :beer:

I think your family will have to be quite rich for you to be able to accomplice your goal, my 532nm 650mW Jetlaser with a 10XBE will definitely not let me see the dot on a mountain covered in snow from about 5-6 km away, even in a really clear night, maybe if i used a tripod for the laser, and also a telescope on a tripod?? Best of luck :beer:

I think the reason is not the power, but the divergence. By the time the light reaches where you're pointing over 6km away, your dot will be so large and dispersed that you won't be able to see it at all.

It must be focused enough for all the light to remain stable at such a distance away.

Last edited:

ATHE

If so, seems impossible to find the laser I want (I should use a several watts laser that means LOT OF money).

Thanks.

ATHE

I think the reason is not the power, but the divergence. By the time the light reaches where you're pointing over 6km away, your dot will be so large and dispersed that you won't be able to see it at all.

It must be focused enough for all the light to remain stable at such a distance away.

As mikzip said (firstly I understand about focusing the beam,) it's also vital to have the power to reach many kilometres but also you put a good reason (probably it's not possible to SEE the beam dot in such a distance).

I'll wait some more if there is an other message (if not the case can be closed).
(((May the Force be with me :D......:thinking:))).

During New Year I've spent a week in a ski resort in the Alps (Hochsölden!).

As some kind of a laser crazy guy I'd a 95mW Viper with a 10x expander with me...

And it's definitely possible to see the dot of the laser in a distance >10km. From the apartment I'd a good view to some of the nearby glaciers. No suprise, attach the beam expander you can see a clearly visible dot (depending on the surface -> snow or "solid" rock)

Believe it or not :D

ATHE

During New Year I've spent a week in a ski resort in the Alps (Hochsölden!).

As some kind of a laser crazy guy I'd a 95mW Viper with a 10x expander with me...

And it's definitely possible to see the dot of the laser in a distance >10km. From the apartment I'd a good view to some of the nearby glaciers. No suprise, attach the beam expander you can see a clearly visible dot (depending on the surface -> snow or "solid" rock)

Believe it or not :D

Wait a moment, you mean that a 95mW Viper with a 10x expander has a visible dot over 10km???WOAOHH!!!.:eek:You're sure???.

If it stands, you'll have a 15$ gift from me to your Paypal, otherwise I'll curse you for my spent money:p!!!.

P.S. What does Mr. Oizo to your profile picture?:)

Last edited: