Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Visibility indoors

What mW power would you guys recommend for a green laser where the beam is visible indoors in average lighting conditions? Does divergence matter for beam visibility or should I just go by mW power?

Thanks.
--Jet

T

tommygreen23

divergence wont matter untill about 100 meters away. for inside, i owuld suggest 35mW and up.
you will be able to see a 35mW's beam in average to dim lighting conditions easily.
hope that hepls!

At night, you can see 15mW even, but in absolutely regular lighting conditions with no fog and such, you would need hundreds of mW. My 300mW has extremely good divergence, and you cant see it in daylight without an aid, or looking at it from a good angle. However with a fogger, you can see even <1mW, and at night, >10mW should be visible.

K

kingzilla

I would suggest a 55mw, the highest power were you can get away without googles, but amazing visibility, I think if you get a 35, you will wish you went higher.

my 35mw is visible in standard 75watt lighting
i wouldn't say it's totally obvious, you have to look for the beam
it's fairly faint until you shine it into a darker area of the room, also depends on humidity and dust in the air
it's more visible with lithiums also

S

sprtdude91

I'd go with the 55mw so you have some burning power as well as visibility.  :)

i just got a 35 and now im obsessed with getting more power..,. its visible in standard lighting (lightbulbs) but not in flouresent lighting. and i really wish i went higher for more burning power.

T

tommygreen23

floroescents are usually brighter, dont worry i cant even see 95mW in floroescent lighting. you will eventually want morepower ;D its pound to happen! youll have fun with the 35 though, i know it!