Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Visibility and Durability - What's the best?

Hi Guys,

So as you might imagine I'm a relative n00b. Still tons to learn about lasers, so feel free to flame me for being a n00b if you must.:na:

1. What color, nm, produces the most visible laser beam?

Now I know that green is perceived better than the other colors, so reason I'm asking is to determine which lasers are better for show, out of the common cheap varieties available.

In the higher powers right now, the most common lasers I see are 445nm, at 1W, and 200mW at 532nm. Which should appear brighter?

2. What is the most durable? I mean as far as taking abuse such as being run at long duty cycle, and in terms of physical survivability. For example, I've never had a 1mw red pointer die on me even after running it non stop until battery died or dropping it, coincidently from about 30 feet height onto pavement.

More than anything I'd like to know what the advantages and disadvantages of 445nm vs 532nm.

445nm
Pros: High power, direct diode, bright wavelength
Cons: Chromatic aberration, poor beam characteristics, poor visibility in bright conditions

532nm
Pros: Very high brightness/power ratio, excellent beam chacacteristics
Cons: Temperature sensitive, slightly less efficient, not as physically durable as direct diode

Keep in mind that 532nm DPSS has come a long way and if built well can be just as rugged as any diode laser.
Even diode lasers can be damaged with enough force, so it's always a good idea to expose your devices to the least amount of trauma no matter what the technology is.
Also, if you have the cash, >200mW of 532nm is available.

I would equate 200mW of 532nm to about 800mW of 445nm.
In daylight, 200mW of 532nm will easily outshine 1.5W of 445nm.

Last edited:
I would equate 200mW of 532nm to about 800mW of 445nm.
In daylight, 200mW of 532nm will easily outshine 1.5W of 445nm.

@RA_pierce

That is very interesting info. I have the 1.2W 445nm Tactical O-like, and I'm waiting on a 200mW 532nm transformable from them right now. Can't wait to compare myself.

I'm not overly confident on their numbers due to a couple of issues, but even without an LPM to confirm output, the 1.2W tactical is MUCH brighter at night than anything else I have. Of course for comparison I only have a "200mW" cheapie 532nm, a3 0mw 532nm pen, and anohter 50mw cheapie.

I also have a 250mw red laser, but in terms of visibility it's nowhere near the other two... I can barely see the beam in the dark.