Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Viper 95mW with a diffused beam

Hi to all.

I've been reading this forum for some time now. The information I've found on here has been superb.  
I have a couple of cheap, low power greenies that I've played with mod wise. And in doing so have learned how these things work and are put together. Great forum, keep up the good work  :)  

Recently I splashed out on a Viper 95mW from Dragonlasers. Fantastic laser. Unfortunately it has developed a problem and I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction. I am ready to return it to Dragonlasers for a replacement but I'm hoping to save time and shipping costs on being able to, possibly, repair it myself.  

The laser is giving out a diffused beam (as illustrated in my picture attached). One minute it was working fine the next it's not looking too good. I have changed the batteries, I have cleaned the lens. As instructed by Dragonlasers, I fired it for 60 seconds, off for 10 seconds then fired it again for 60 seconds. This didn't fix it!

I use the laser in short bursts (5 to 10 seconds) and it is kept in it's box.  

My first laser is in several peices, after my first attempts of modding. The second is working well, in it's modded state. The Viper I'm a little reluctant to start stripping being as it cost a little more than my other two...

So over to you guys for your advise. Otherwise it's back to China for my little friend :'(  

Attachments

• diffused_beam.jpg
    diffused_beam.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 81

it looks like a lens has been knocked out of place, i would send it back and get a new one if i were you. i wouldnt risk fixing it. is there a rattling sound when you jiggle the laser around?

When you say diffuse, how diffuse do you mean? The halo around the dot looks a bit disconcerting, but I can't really tell the relative size from the pic. At lets say... 10 ft, about how large would you say the dot is?

The laser is about 1ft from the wall so the center circle is about 7to8 inches in diameter. The halo is about 15to16 inches across.

There's no rattling to suggest anything loose within. But if a lens has shifted then that would explain it and yes I wouldn't want to go that far into the laser set up.

S

SenKat

Most definitely return that sucker - if hte dot is THAT huge, something is wrong with the alignment of hte collimating optics. That looks horrible, man - I hope they fix you up right !