Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Viewing IR lasers

Rather than just saying.. "one of my latest toys"... why don't you enlighten
the community a tell us something about your new toy..... :cool:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIizzSHFHEQ

Where you got it..... :-?
What are it's dimensions... :-?
How much did it cost.... :-?
etc.... ::)

Jerry

It was described in the video description...

It's a IR viewing plate.
The UV black light makes the plate material fluoresce, the IR laser makes the plate material loose the energy absorbed from the UV light. This quenches the fluorescence and makes the IR laser beam look like a dark spot.
The two separate areas are for real time CW beams, and the one with high latency for pulsed lasers.

It was 150$ including a UV lamp...that I will probably replace with UV leds.
They are sold regularly on ebay.

The view area is really generous, guesstimating from memory it's about 20 -  25 cm x10 cm.

And, thank you for the link  ;)

Edit:
To be more precise, it's a Macken Instruments IR Viewing plate. Available online but more expensive, cheaper and  also on a regular basis on ebay.

Thanks for the Info update....
Now everyone will know the ins and outs of your new toy...  ;)

Jerry

Jeebus! a black light and GITD tile for $150? Even retail shouldn't be that pricey.

It is an excellent demonstration and very similar to how the IR detector cards work. I'll have to give it a try. +1 ;)

Daedronus said:
[highlight]It was described in the video description[/highlight]...

It's a IR viewing plate.
The UV black light makes the plate material fluoresce, the IR laser makes the plate material loose the energy absorbed from the UV light. This quenches the fluorescence and makes the IR laser beam look like a dark spot.
The two separate areas are for real time CW beams, and the one with high latency for pulsed lasers.

It was 150$ including a UV lamp...that I will probably replace with UV leds.
They are sold regularly on ebay.

The view area is really generous, guesstimating from memory it's about 20 -  25 cm x10 cm.

And, thank you for the link  ;)

Edit:
To be more precise, it's a Macken Instruments IR Viewing plate. Available online but more expensive, cheaper and  also on a regular basis on ebay.

Lots of us here on LPF have jobs. At these jobs, our bosses like to block sites like youtube so that we don't waste their money by watching people's laser videos at work.. Your description helps us to know what you are talking about. Including a description is just a courtesy for people like us.. (Yes I know about proxy sites, but I'm not really trying to get in trouble at work..)