Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video of 12 Watt 532 nm laser - that's not a typo

Impressive. But that makes me wonder: if the resulting green beam was 12W... how powerful was the original IR beam? :drool:

I highly doubt it unless you're using UV lasers. Cancer can only be caused by ionizing radiation, which starts somewhere in the UV and shorter wavelengths. High-energy photons impact the DNA in the nucleus of a cell and do enough damage to alter the DNA but not kill the cell. Lower energy photons don't pack enough wallop to alter the DNA. A lot of low-energy photons will heat, melt, and destroy cells, but you won't get the DNA mutations that lead to cancer. There are lots of ways to get skin cancer but visible-spectrum lasers aren't one of them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and my understanding of cancer is rudimentary at best.

Very nice.

I want a 12 W sodium laser, but I would love to have a powerful green as well, someday perhaps I will make one. Them laser safety glasses, what rating and brand is that? If you do not mind me asking? Your 3d vid looks all kinda crazy though nvidia glasses BTW

The filter I put over the camera: I found it in a drawer of assorted optical bits, I don't actually know where it's from, but it appears to be made of the same material as our OD 7 532 nm goggles... it's probably a sample.
What I was wearing: Laserglow branded OD 7 532 nm goggles. AGF5327XX on our website.

"All kinda crazy" in a good way or in a bad way? I'm still new to this stereoscopic 3D stuff!

Justin

Hey, Event_Horizon, please don't burn our building down. We just moved here and I like the place! Well, nothing in your lab is really all that flammable, but don't set yourself on fire. It's bad for our insurance premiums.

Nice video, though. Even after all these years and all the lasers that I've seen, it's still amazing to throw 12 W of juice at something and watch what happens.

Last edited:
No worries Justin, I've already set myself on fire once before in a non-laser related electrical experiment. The chances of me doing it twice are very slim.