Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video: Laser Popcorn! - Yes! It Can Be Done at Home! :-D

You could glue it on with some carmel or something edible, but its still the slowest way to make popcorn ever invented :D
The laser popcorn is actually edible. If you watch the video you'll see that essentially all of the hot melt glue remains on the spindle.
:crackup:
:beer:
Yes, I enjoy popcorn too! With a little salt and butter, mmm mmm good!
Thanks!

Hackaday dropped a link to this vid: Hackaday links: October 24, 2010 - Hack a Day

Pretty funny what they wrote! LOL!

-Scott

I have a miniture bottle of Cannabis Vodka, basically it's Vodka with cannabis seed in it. If I focus my 405nm on it I can hear the seeds ratling around :)

I have a miniture bottle of Cannabis Vodka, basically it's Vodka with cannabis seed in it. If I focus my 405nm on it I can hear the seeds ratling around :)

Now I have this funny image of deep emerald green popcorn resulting from an experiment like this! LOL!

Hihaaaaaaaa ! Thanks for sharing ;)

Yahoo! Video Detail for Popcorn

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm probably going to do another video or two on this theme. At least one more that is a bit more approachable for the average individual.

Cheers!

:pop: :lasergun:

:D

-Scott

Last edited:

Kage

Nice job Netscott!

It really is great to see someone doing things beside burning holes in stuff.

I was actually able to reproduce this at home on my workbench, using a phonograph turntable to spin the popcorn kernel.

I don't have 2 1 watt 445nm lasers, but I do have 1 1W and 1 500mW, so I painted the kernel with a black sharpie and stuck it in a bit of silicone rtv to hold it in the vertical position.

The first attempt failed and burned the kernel because one of the lasers was focused too tight, but the second attempt worked after a minute or so.

A rep for ya.:gj:

Nice job Netscott!

It really is great to see someone doing things beside burning holes in stuff.

I was actually able to reproduce this at home on my workbench, using a phonograph turntable to spin the popcorn kernel.

I don't have 2 1 watt 445nm lasers, but I do have 1 1W and 1 500mW, so I painted the kernel with a black sharpie and stuck it in a bit of silicone rtv to hold it in the vertical position.

The first attempt failed and burned the kernel because one of the lasers was focused too tight, but the second attempt worked after a minute or so.

A rep for ya.:gj:

Now that's a cool idea, a record player! Thumbs up! I imagine I would have used one if I had had one but alas that technology is a bit past its prime and unless you're a DJ or an audiophile purist you're not likely going to have one of those (like myself).

That's cool that you managed to get a kernel to pop. It is a bit surprising how long it takes even if it is colored black, isn't it?

I'm doing some experiments to see if I can effectively (albeit slowly) repeat this with just one laser.

Did you make a video of what you did? That'd be cool to see it if so!

Thanks for the compliment and the +rep! ;)

-Scott

Last edited:

vk2fro

I can see someone trying to out do you on this one, and using an 80watt co2, and frying the entire bag of popcorn, without opening it ;)

Kage

Now that's a cool idea, a record player! Thumbs up! I imagine I would have used one if I had had one but alas that technology is a bit past its prime and unless you're a DJ or an audiophile purist you're not likely going to have one of those (like myself).

That's cool that you managed to get a kernel to pop. It is a bit surprising how long it takes even if it is colored black, isn't it?

I'm doing some experiments to see if I can effectively (albeit slowly) repeat this with just one laser.

Did you make a video of what you did? That'd be cool to see it if so!

Thanks for the compliment and the +rep! ;)

-Scott

Using the turntable was purely laziness - the other alternative was searching through my junk for a motor :eek:.

I figured since I might be a little shy on power, best to blacken the kernel, just to make sure, but this wavelength is usually pretty well absorbed by most colors.

No video, but if I get a chance I'll try to make one next time. Plus my wife, who was watching me set the whole thing up, got bored and left just a couple minutes before it worked - not even a witness. :(