Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

using only a battery 4 burning diode

i have hooked up a recharg batt to my diode and it burns like crazy has been for probably few weeks now is there a safe voltage, is this safe for diode life, and what would be the correct voltage to run at max? the reason i ask is because i have a few of the flexdrives but they seem to not be supplying any power to the diode but when i hook it to a batt it burns like hell???
thank you in advance

floridahigh said:
i have hooked up a recharg batt to my diode and it burns like crazy has been for probably few weeks now is there a safe voltage, is this safe for diode life, and what would be the correct voltage to run at max? the reason i ask is because i have a few of the flexdrives but they seem to not be supplying any power to the diode but when i hook it to a batt it burns like hell???
thank you in advance

Those flexdrives limit the current so it doesn't burn the diode so when you hook a diode up to a battery directly it will give a ton of current and kill the diode very quickly but if you want a alot of power for 0.5-60 secounds go with the directly hook up to battery if you want that lasts 2-12 months use a driver with a loc and a heatsink set at 420ma.

you have to adjust the current on the flexdrives. one you adjust it to a certain point it will burn but hooking straight to a battery is asking for trouble...

Simple version:

think of it like a kid give a kid coke or red bull the kid will super charge but after 20-60 minutes he will be super low power.

Give a kid a apple he will have average-good power for 5-6 hours then just needs to have another apple.

AusLasersSuck said:
Simple version:

think of it like a kid give a kid coke or red bull the kid will super charge but after 20-60 hours he will be super low power.

Give a kid a apple he will have average-good power for 5-6 hours then just needs to have another apple.
thats a bad analogy....

a diode may last 5 seconds or 5 weeks hooked straight up to a battery...

drew said:
[quote author=AusLasersSuck link=1233984302/0#3 date=1233995846]Simple version:

think of it like a kid give a kid coke or red bull the kid will super charge but after 20-60 hours he will be super low power.

thats a bad analogy....

a diode may last 5 seconds or 5 weeks hooked straight up to a battery...[/quote]

sorry I meant to write 20-60 minute for the "coke or redbull" but I wrote hours edited it :)

What I was trying so say was hook a diode directly up to batterys = 5-10 mintes

With driver with LOC with 420ma 6-24 months!