Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

using laser as a non lethal weapon

Felcas BR

I was wondering about this possibility. What if I could use a powerful laser to cause psychological shock to individual trying to invade my property.

What if I use a powerful enough laser to temporarily blind the invader and if I don't convince him, then change for something that will guarantee he will be blind for life and stop his actions at the moment, soo I can call police and stuff?

What would be your recommendation?

I know it sounds evil but it is much better then pop a bullet in his forehead 😆 aaannnddd he will not as salt anyone else blind.

If you blind an invader the criminal won't be able to work, but he will be able to sue you.
Plus when his cohorts come back wearing laser shades they might beat the crap out of you and blind you with your own laser, why don't you buy a gun and if you absolutely must use justifiable force shoot the attacker/criminal and then you won't get sued and blinded by his cohorts, you could load your shotgun with beanbag or rubber slugs for the first couple of rounds for a less than lethal deterrent, also a home alarm scares invaders off most of the time.

Also I think it's a bad idea as lasers could be restricted easily if people start doing this making the use of one for self defense a crime, you would be better off to dazzle with a bright flashlight and use pepper spray, but blinding with a laser could be seen as cruel and unusual maiming and land you in jail even before new laws get passed, also if you flash an attacker/invader with a laser he might shoot you, I don't think it's a good idea.

Last edited:

Encap

Sounds like the daydream of a not too bright 12 year old accident looking for a place to happen and looking to be the subject of both criminal and civil prosecution. Attempting to or hitting someone in the eye or eyes on purpose with is a drooling moron level type of thing to do, not to mention possible criminal and civil charges against you for doing so.

It is simple to imagine, not so simple to actually do in the real world. If you manage to use one to successfully blind someone, which is not likely, you will end up in court, and likely paying the intruder for the rest of your life and/or going to jail depending upon laws in your jurisdiction.

PS Blinding lasers are prohibited even in war--agreement 108 Nations have signed up to as of April 2018-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Blinding_Laser_Weapons
The 1995 Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons (Protocol IV to the 1980 Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons) prohibits use of blinding laser weapons as a means or method of warfare as well as their transfer, to any state or non-state actor.

Last edited: