Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

US laser laws

tomek

I have done some research but i'm still confused,  and yes i did use the search feature... didnt find what i was looking for.

I want to buy an X105...  

but according to the FDA:

"What are the FDA requirements for Class IIIa and IIIb laser systems?

The FDA standard 21 CFR 1040.10 and 1040.11) requires a warning label on Class IIIa and IIIb products. Class IIIb products must also have a key switch and connector for remote interlock. The products are also required to have identifying and certifying labels and instructions for safe use."

what is a remote interlock?  is it the little knob thing that you put into the envee / alpha series models?     also:  i thought a 3 second beam delay was required by fda too?  but i cant find any info on it...  

and:

"Can battery-operated, portable laser systems be sold in the U.S?

Yes, battery-operated, portable laser systems can be sold in the U.S., providing that they fully comply with the standard, are certified and reported, and are not Class IIIb lasers sold or promoted for pointing or amusement purposes."

certified and REPORTED?   huh?   wait oh they cant be class IIIb?..

ive also read on lasercommunity that its illegal to point iiib lasers at clouds? ack...

fda <dot> gov/cdrh/radhealth/products/lpm <dot > html

Aseras

FDA legal requirement are for manufacturers not end users.

Some states have laser specific laws. Most are obvious, don't shine them at a cop, school bus , cars, airplane etc.

Only federal law is intentionally aiming at aircraft.

Other than that it's is wide open. You can do whatever you want.

In fact, the FAA does not approve or disapprove variances. they just object or not object to outdoor displays. As long as you do not interefere with aircraft you are fine.