Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

US Customs

Anyone ever have to deal with US Customs?

I had to track this laser I ordered from "winlans" on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...E:L:RTQ:US:1&viewitem=&item=280079452182&rd=1

I ordered it on Feb 10 and they shipped it on Feb 11, couldn't ask for more and they have been real good with the communication, but...

US Customs in San Francisco received it on Feb 12 and have been sitting on it ever since. I haven't received any notice it was seized or anything like that, it's just stalled.

After much digging I was finally able to find a phone number for them - so if anyone here ever needs to call it's 650-742-9310

I called yesterday and spoke to someone at ext 121 named Officer Wright who said she would research it, but I haven't heard back. :(

The two other lasers I ordered I received right away - but they're packed away in a box so I can resist temptation to play with with them until SenKat can test them ::)

P

Proctor

You're going to be disappointed with those. Get some IR filtering glasses.

I dont know... they said the manufacturer reports it as having an IR filter.

this is one (100mw) and another (50mw) I plan on selling, becuase I also ordered a 150mw

SenKat is going to test these for me when he gets his new meter. I am also sending him an IR filter... so we will know definitively if they do or not before they are used or sold.

ARRRGGHH :mad:

I just called and spoke to the same lady I talked to yesterday... they can not locate it (even though USPS tracking shows they received it on 2/12) so I have to wait until after 30 days from the time they received it, which would be Tues, and then track it again and if they dont have it call them back and open a missing package report :mad:

then what?!

fncking customs!

S

SenKat

Oh CRAP. That sucks, man....I got back my RMA'd "Glowtorch" yesterday - and it was an empty envelope....stolen in the mail (supposedly).

Now I have to go through the same thing before the seller will refund my money. I have waited patiently, now it is time for a refund.

S

SenKat

Oh - and by the way...evidently Proctor doesn't read anything except for what he writes. The lasers from Winlans are IR filtered - they are NewWish pointers. I have proof positive that they ARE IR filtered. Normally I wouldn't get argumentative on here, but constant garbage spewing forth from someone with no proof is very tiresome.

sorry to hear you're having issues with the mail also :-/

let us know how that plays out

P

Proctor

SenKat said:
Oh - and by the way...evidently Proctor doesn't read anything except for what he writes. The lasers from Winlans are IR filtered - they are NewWish pointers. I have proof positive that they ARE IR filtered. Normally I wouldn't get argumentative on here, but constant garbage spewing forth from someone with no proof is very tiresome.

Ah well, okay, they are IR filtered. None of the other lasers anybody sells in that casing are IR filtered. ;D

Anyways, buying a 100mW is a waste of money, because all you're really going to get is maybe 20-30mW 532nm out of the IR filtered ones. The IR filters are taken off them for a fake sense of burning power.

update:

after waiting the requisite 30+ days for customs to investigate the loss of the parcel, they come back and say they never received it... USPS was very helpful and even contacted customs a few times on my behalf to say their last scan shows "inbound into customs"

well USPS said that if customs is saying they never received it the shipper would have to open a claim... I notified winlans again (who was very prompt in all their communications) and they refunded my purchase

all's well that ends well I suppose, because I went ahead a bought a higher power one I wasn't planning on doing anything with this one but testing and selling it anyhow... but I have to say I am a little surprised they didn't offer to send a replacement ::)

so Senkat - get your meter yet? I'm ready to send you the 2 I do have anytime :)

S

SenKat

Still waiting (somewhat patiently !) for my new meter to arrive......I hope to get an ETA today ! I actually just "revived" one of the busted 50mw new wish ones I had - the button was smashed beyond belief, and I extracted it from the front half (the only part I had still) of hte laser in order to get the guts out - I replaced the button, and it powers up great - now, what to put a nice 50mw greenie into ? hehehehehehe

and how did the glowtorch drama play out for you? I see it's no longer in your sig line

S

SenKat

Well - I was waiting to see if hte snakey POS is gonna actually ship it this time - IMMEDIATELY after lodging a complaint with paypal (which was WAY past the 45 day limit -DUH) he emailed me and said he would ship a new one ASAP. It's on DHL, possibly tomorrow or the next....we;ll see if hte damned thing even works or not, or if he shipped me a steamy pile of...well, you know !

see... that's what made me a little suspicious about winlans, because I was at exactly 45 days so I said I'm sorry but I have to file w/paypal (because I didn't want to miss the cutoff and end up getting screwed) - as soon as I submitted the "did not receive item" I got a reply back saying "never mind all that, we'll refund your purchase"

so I'm not trying to bad mouth them, because I didn't loose anything but time & they always responded right away to my emails... it just seemed kinda fishey

S

SenKat

WELL ! I spoke too soon ! I received the Glowtorch at the office today, via DHL....it functions, but looks like a refurbed unit - so, at least I have a laser that functions - even though it looks like crap !

At least you have a pointer - better than I expected given his history. You can always swap out the diode and you're back in the game. Once we get our meters you'll be able to check the output. Does it light matches??

If it is refurb, the warranty is probably void - that means you can take it apart to look at the inside and see if you can mod it. Not such a bad thing...

S

SenKat

stevetexas said:
At least you have a pointer - better than I expected given his history.  You can always swap out the diode and you're back in the game.  Once we get our meters you'll be able to check the output.  Does it light matches??

If it is refurb, the warranty is probably void - that means you can take it apart to look at the inside and see if you can mod it.   Not such a bad thing...

How did I miss this post earlier ? (DUH !)

Yeah - well, I planned on taking it apart anyways - I want to see how it's built...gotta learn SOMETHING from this experience ! The warranty does not exist - as he has dissapeared off of ebay, etc...