Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UPS Scumbags

Major rant incoming:

I have no proof, but I seriously smell a rat here. As you know, I ordered my RGY scanner which was due for delivery on 2/8, tracking said it was out for delivery. When it didnt arrive I phoned the warehouse and fired a load of F**s into them. to which they replied that was impossible , as it was scanned for delivery, and would promise that it would be delivered tomorrow.

Sure enough it turned up today, I gleefully unpacked it only to notice a load of staining on the case (most of which I removed, but more worringly, the protective window for the scanner was missing, and a load of paint was scratched off behind the scanner.

I Initially thought I was sent a crap unit, so I emailed David Lanling, and in all fairness he replied within the hour asking for some photos of the damage. He swears he personally checked the laser before dispatch and all was good with it, as he knows I will be doing a review on it.

He has now replied saying he will send a new front cover for me and backing panel and is very apologetic about the whole affair (great CS, and hats off to him).

On closer inspection of the packaging, I can see that the original clear tape when it was packaged in China was 1.5" clear tape. However it seems that the whole package was repacked using 2" clear tape over the top.
So my guess is , some thieving little UPS Git has opened it up to have a play on it and damaged it for some reason, prolly in the hope I would send it back for a replacement, so he wouldn't get found out.

Thankfully the laser performs perfectly, and I will have a new front cover to replace in 2 days, but C'mon 24 hours lost somewhere and clear evidence of repackaging???

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that one out.

Jase

Here is a photo of the missing window and damage behind.

Attachments

• P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 107

Justin

Did the package have a sticker saying that it was opened by Customs? Those guys at US Customs can be pretty rough when "inspecting" lasers.

No Justin. even the UPS guy that delivered it was a bit confused as to where it was during that 24 hr period. He said if it was put on the wrong van , it should have had a sticker put on it as it was returned to the depot to explain its whereabouts.

The tracking info shows that it got to the UK unheeded within 2 days, it was only when UPS in the UK got hold of it, it vanished for 24 hours. I guess having "professional laser display system" on the box did not help matters.

Jase.

Justin

I forgot that you are in the UK, but I guess that doesn't change very much... If it was UK Customs, they are definitely suspicious anytime they see the word "laser" on a package and it could be that they were a little overzealous in their "inspection" of your laser. Unfortunately, Customs is basically untouchable by anybody, any law or any company. They are almost at the level of the military in terms of their immunity to any legal action or claim... Your best bet would be to file a claim with the carrier and see how it plays out.

Justin, the trouble is, I cannot prove anything by anyone, it is the sellers word and my word against the authorities. But as the laser is working perfectly and David is going to send me a new front cover and backplate for the mirrors free of charge, I guess all is good.

Jase.

Things

mine didn't come with a clear window????? mine didn't come scratched eiher???? is the inside of yours black? i'll get pics of mine for comparison :cool:

Things

here's a crappy pic of mine. there was no front window in mine, was one supposed to be included? my one doesn't have any scratches, so somehing musta happened during shipping?

Attachments

• RGY_laser_085.jpg
    RGY_laser_085.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 110

Things

hey jase, is there supposed to be a clear window infront of the scanners? mine didn't come with one, should i email david???
thanks

Things

and does yours make much noise? the top panel seems to rattle abit?

things said:
and does yours make much noise? the top panel seems to rattle abit?
Yep Things, mine is quite noisy too, I have found that removing the hanging bracket cures this, and yes I would email him and ask about the missing window.

Jase