Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

--Updated-- Another X-Ray thread (Teardown completed)

Benm

Great find for 35 quid!

If it is only the filament winding that has failed i suppose it would be attractive to attempt to remove that and wind one of your down. The number of turns should be visible even if it has arced over or burned open.

Downside of this sort of system is you'll need to do the restoration and then fill it back up with oil before you can test it. There reallyis no way to tell if the x-ray tube is in good condition onterwise, though you could check it for gas leaking in to some degree using a crt flyback and seeing if it draws any current with the filament cold.

The filament transformer is separate to the main HV transformer

You first need to identify winding connections on the HV transformer , followed by any info on supply voltage , it looks like a 50hz transformer from the iron core , I guess it could be 400Hz but don't think it would be , can you post pictures of the transformer ends where the connections are ,

You would need to vaccume it under oil again before testing it , I killed an X Ray transformer from not doing that ..

Last edited: