Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Unusual beam pattern

Domesox

I’m pretty new to lasers and was trying to find out if this is normal. I have a sanwu guardian 50mw 495nm and I know the dot is never really a perfect circle or anything but is it normal to have this giant square off to the side? 63405

yeah mine does it as well, its perfectly normal :) my Cyan Pocket doesn't do it but my 505 Pocket does.

LaserRanger

I see it on my 488, 505, 515, 520, I'ts probably an internal reflection because I have my lasers using 3 element glass lenses and they are less noticeable in some then the others. It might be due to the quality of the antireflective coating

Domesox

yeah mine does it as well, its perfectly normal :) my Cyan Pocket doesn't do it but my 505 Pocket does.
Ok cool, coming from China I wasn’t sure if maybe it got dropped or something and knocked something out of alignment lol. Never had one like this so I didn’t know how it’s supposed to look

Domesox

I see it on my 488, 505, 515, 520, I'ts probably an internal reflection because I have my lasers using 3 element glass lenses and they are less noticeable in some then the others. It might be due to the quality of the antireflective coating
I see, I won the laser in a contest so I wouldn’t be mad either way but it’s nice to know it’s normal!

Sanwu may be a Chinese company, but they make really good quality lasers and there's fortunately not a lot to knock out of alignment in a 488nm :)

Domesox

Sanwu may be a Chinese company, but they make really good quality lasers and there's fortunately not a lot to knock out of alignment in a 488nm :)
I heard nothing but good things about them, just wanted to make sure usps wasn’t tossing the thing around like a baseball haha. Although the amount of bubble wrap they use would definitely help. It’s strange that on their site they don’t have a 495nm option but that’s what’s engraved on it

This is a normal artifact from the Sharp laser diodes we have been seeing recently. You have two choices if you wish to get rid of it. You can use the acrylic lens that comes with any 12 mm module you buy or the 2 element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR is a glass lens that removes it too. Don't use acrylic lenses on any laser over 500 mW as it could melt.

Domesox

This is a normal artifact from the Sharp laser diodes we have been seeing recently. You have two choices if you wish to get rid of it. You can use the acrylic lens that comes with any 12 mm module you buy or the 2 element 520nm AR coated lens from DTR is a glass lens that removes it too. Don't use acrylic lenses on any laser over 500 mW as it could melt.
Awesome that’s good to know. Seeing that it’s normal I’ll leave it as it sits, maybe when I get more knowledge over all of it I’ll start swapping things around. Thanks for the info!