Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UNIQUE dvd laser info request

And possibly a request for a commission to build one.

Ok, I'm looking for a bright, high quality keychain laser. I don't really want a greenie because of the unreasonable power requirements, so I've begun thinking about underdriving a DVD diode to achieve the brightness I'm looking for, plus the simple fact that I prefer the color red.

Here is the info I'm looking for:

1- How much current would it have to draw to make 40-50mW?

2- Would 40-50 mw draw less current than an average 5mw green?

3- Would 40-50 mw do the job of getting me about to green laser brightness?

4- Would it be possible to run a red LED off of it, similar to the fashion of the LED + laser keychains you get at Walmart?

The LED part is important to me. Is it even feasible to hope for something like that? I figure it could use a keychain flashlight for a host, with an Axiz module and an LED side by side behind the flashlight's glass (since it's in my pocket, I would want the stock glass left in place to protect my optics and keep them clean) being driven by a CR2 or something.

Probably the most difficult part would be laser or LED selection. I would NOT want a clicky that goes laser > LED > off. I would want to hit a button for whichever I preffered.

Anybody out there feeling adventurous? LOL

If I'm not being clear, I'll be more than happy to make some drawings in MS paint to illustrate my ideas.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Rob

PS- in the end, I'm not against just having two keychains. If this is unreasonable, I guess someone could just stuff an Axiz in something for me...?

i can answer question 3 for you- it would take an insane amount of red to be close to a 5mw green, because of how your eyes work. i have a red that burns like crazy, probably between 150 and 200mW, but a 5mw greenie beam is much more visible. so in other words, 40-50 mw would probably not be as bright as a green

thebucketmouse said:
i can answer question 3 for you- it would take an insane amount of red to be close to a 5mw green, because of how your eyes work. i have a red that burns like crazy, probably between 150 and 200mW, but a 5mw greenie beam is much more visible. so in other words, 40-50 mw would probably not be as bright as a green

Yeah, this would have been my first IIIb red, so I'm not to familiar with them.

After doing some more research, this seems like it'll probably be more trouble than it's worth. :/

thebucketmouse said:

That is the BEAM, yes. For me, the dot of my 220mW red looks brighter than the dot of a 5mW 532nm, but the beam is still duller than the green. If feuer is talking about the dot brightness, 50mW of 650nm should be at least pretty close to the visibility of a 5mW green.

Maybe someone could take the DX R+G pen laser, replace the red laser with a green LED and shorten it up to pull keychain duty? Would that be easier?

I'm scared to even try to take something like that apart.

edit.... I think this would make an outstanding host for an axiz in keychain form
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.891

jayrob said:
It's not exactly covering all of your requirements, but it is small enough to be considered 'key chain' sized! Check it out...
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1226875831/0
Jay

WOW! That is an outstanding laser. Unfortunately, the house commander would kill me if I tried to drop $190 on a keychain laser of all things now that I've told her "I'm done". Honestly, I was hoping to get away with about $30-40, and I can't in good conscience ask you to come off of your price, when your laser is obviously worth what you're asking.

Thank you though.