Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Un-anodized aluminum hosts that have been carried a bit

How do your un-anodized aluminum hosts look after being carried around for a while, especially if carried a lot? Trying to decide on whether or not to go with anodizing in the event that I have some custom hosts made and am curious how they hold up with no anodizing at all.

Pictures would be helpful but so would any input that you all might have.

Last edited:

How do your un-anodized aluminum hosts look after being carried around for a while, especially if carried a lot? Trying to decide on whether or not to go with anodizing in the event that I have some custom hosts made and am curious how they hold up with no anodizing at all.

Pictures would be helpful but so would any input that you all might have.

I get my custom Arcane 2.0 hosts with no anodizing at all. They are being polished before getting out ... but while they sit in the box for a few weeks ... nothing really happen to them.

I just do not like the "brushed" look on hosts. I prefer them polished personally.

I also paint them sometimes when customers ask for it.

I do not know if after a long time something will happen to a un-anodized host. But I just feel like I got to do something with it lol.

Just my opinion on it :beer:

I'm not going to polish my hosts, it would just get torn up over and over.

I have a really nice custom host from Ehgemus. It is basically the Laser 301 done properly, with a tail on/off button and a momentary button up front, very solid. It isn't anodized so I'm not sure I can bring myself to carry it around and tear up the finish. I couldn't find anything around the house that would give me a good idea of what a often-carried laser might look like. Do they look all scratched-up, or just uniformly dull in appearance?

I'm planning on acquiring a few similar hosts and am trying to decide if I want to have them anodized. It really depends on what they would look like once "broken in" and whatnot. I could use the host I already have and test it, but that seems like a poor idea.

Probably over-thinking it of course, but I like to plan ahead on these things. Really appreciate it if anyone can post a picture of a well-carried, non-anodized host. Thanks :)

eta: How well does powder-coat hold up over time? Is it attacked by alcohol or similar solvents? Ehgemus can powder-coat them and if it's durable I might just go with that. But almost nothing is as hard as aluminum oxide, and it looks like Mrcrouse can put on a pretty thick coat.

Last edited: