Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultralasers' >150mW 473nm lab laser

Hello guys, first review here, and its of a 473nm! I used to own a 5mW one of these, but long story short it died, and I had a need to replace it for a few months. This time I wanted something better, stronger... Bigger. And found Ultralasers.com's eBay account, and there sit a few decent 473 labbys.

$620 later, After a few questions... here I am with my review!

I ordered this laser on thursday the 20th, at around 9pm US East time. Being familiar with eBay and their standards I bought through them. The laser was marked as shipped the next morning. Two days pass, work on saturday, and I come home to a tightly taped up box on my front porch. It was already here! This was the fastest shipping I've ever had ordering anything.

Quick got inside, cut the tape off the box and find my DHOM box, about 5 pounds in weight. The box contained the laser and the power supply, and a plug with 3 wires labeled L, N, and E.

I had no idea what these stood for at first, and they are european wiring colors, and letters which I have no idea where they came up with them.
Brown was line (US bigger rectangle)
Blue was neutral (US smaller rectangle)
Yellow with green stripe was ground

I had to go to the local hardware store and pick up a plug for it, a bit inconvenient. No real need for me to contact them about it though, just a plug.
After that, I wired it up and fired up the power supply. Faint red glow came out, no IR filter :tsk:, so that's coming in the mail shortly. (Keep in mind, this is TTL modulation, I can pull this thing down to its lasing threshold)

After plugging it into my amazing power supply/power bar/extension cord, I was ready to fire this up. v

Laser right at it's lasing threshold, my camera flash neutralized the IR pretty well in the picture.

After about ~30 seconds of warming up, the light is just INTENSE!

Beamshot going right toward the camera

Same as above, with my thumb blocking the source so the beam would be more visible.

Another beam shot, pretty good picture as well!

Night shots: Oh boy, these I like!

Overall
I really LOVE this laser. It was pretty affordable considering how much power it outputs. The shipping is phenomenal, and the products just are at a great price and in great quality.

Rating
9.5/10
Their products stay pretty affordable under 200 mW (in the 473nm section), and honestly, there's no need for anything more beastly than that... that a 445nm can't do (other than having a beautiful color).
Their shipping was much faster than any other company's I ordered from.
The only issue at all that I had was getting that plug, that inconvenience brought the rating down ;)
I do plan on buying from them again, and I HIGHLY recommend buying from them for anyone who wants a good lab unit. I left my eBay feedback as something along the lines of "Amazing, recommending seller to LPF"

Now, to find a better camera...

madog

Damn you! I had just about forgot how much I enjoy this color.
Now my wheels are turning again! Congrats on a beautiful laser.

D

Deleted member 22482

Lab lasers looks reasonably small, why can't you put them in handheld lasers? Or do they need the powers of a 700W Computer PSU?

Technically its *possible* to make them handheld... its just much more efficient to have them like this. Plus, they have active cooling which handhelds don't offer often.
I cant because it would require taking the DPSS unit apart and finding the proper amount of power it needs, or finding the right host that would fit the unit inside it. Eh, for the sake of keeping it easy. I had a handheld 473nm at one point, i remember it bumping against a table and never working again beyond that. The IR still worked, my assumption was the crystals misaligning.......

rant... They pretty much do need that kind of power to remain stable, and need the host to keep the optics and crystals aligned properly. Plus, less movement means a higher chance of staying alive in my book.

Also, more pics coming in the other thread!

Last edited: