Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultra Lasers 120mW Mode Issues

Rhith

Well, Nova has their X-105 for $209 with 105-125mW average output and they work almost flawlessly as DPSS laser systems go. I know that if I even put down over $50 for laser without knowing it wasn't worth it I would get a bit angry if it had issues. But to each their own. ;)

plexus said:
well what the manufacturer specs is what i am getting: 120mW peak within 20 sec and 45s/60s duty cycle. but then you guys are telling me its defective. but then when i read sam's faq they say that any pointer style pen over about 50mW is going to be unstable without TEC or other temperature control.

so its in spec with the manufacturer and its working based on the faq which is populated by guys doing some pretty hairy DIY work with these laser systems.

so thanks for all help and input but i think i will just get the laser measured with a power meter and if i get 120mW during TEM00 i am going to assume its working fine.

keep in mind this laser was $215, not $400-500 like of the pen pointers out there so there will be some chomprimises. regardless its very bright.

many parts of sam's laser FAQ are quite outdated - laser technology in DPSS has advanced quite a lot in recent years

plexus

alright then. a friend of mine who has been working with lasers since the late 80's starting with a 2W argon and moving into DPSS lasers including pens and TEC cooled modules says that, and this is after experimenting with many different pens in both green and blue, that no pen style pointer DPSS laser is going to be stable after some period of continuous use.

How are you guys testing this on your lasers? i am having a hard time accepting that a high powered (>50mW) pointer with no integral cooling system is going to be stable with a 100% duty on cycle.

take your laser, shine it though a lens that will cause the beam to diverge and show up large on a wall and turn it on continuously and tell me if doesnt mode change at some point. if it doesn't and you can provide a video, then i will accept this idea over the advice and research of experts who advise otherwise.

plexus said:
alright then. a friend of mine who has been working with lasers since the late 80's starting with a 2W argon and moving into DPSS lasers including pens and TEC cooled modules says that, and this is after experimenting with many different pens in both green and blue, that no pen style pointer DPSS laser is going to be stable after some period of continuous use.

How are you guys testing this on your lasers? i am having a hard time accepting that a high powered (>50mW) pointer with no integral cooling system is going to be stable with a 100% duty on cycle.

take your laser, shine it though a lens that will cause the beam to diverge and show up large on a wall and turn it on continuously and tell me if doesnt mode change at some point. if it doesn't and you can provide a video, then i will accept this idea over the advice and research of experts who advise otherwise.

that's not the point, almost every pen laser has a duty cycle, but below a minute is unacceptable to me in terms of a quality product.

my 35mw has been left on for over 5 minutes and stayed TEM00 even though it is only rated for a duty cycle of two minutes

plexus

ah ok, thats what i thought. its just some posts here seemed to be stating that pen pointers should have a 100% on duty cycle which is contrary to what i have been told by expert laser designers i know. ok so there is a duty cycle. now remember my pen is a 120mW pen and it cost $200 so i wouldnt expect it have the same characteristics as a 35mw pen or a more expensive 120mw pen.

the people i bought it from are more than willing to allow me to trade it in. but i'd rather not if its working ok. i have sent them the results of my testing which is basically a 20s on 60s off duty cycle. i trust them to tell me if this is in spec. sounds like its not.

once i get my power meter i'll be able to get a sense of the power output as well.

Gazoo

I don't recall anyone stating a pen style laser has a 100% duty cycle, I believe it was a misunderstanding. I have run my Nova X105 for as long as 2 minutes with no mode hopping and it has peaked as high as 138mw's.. Nova recommends a duty cycle of 100 seconds on...10 seconds off. Although I will allow mine to cool down for longer than 10 seconds.

As others have pointed out, your laser should not be mode hopping given the information you have provided, and personally I find mode hopping totally unacceptable as will any good laser company that stands by what they sell. This is provided you are following the manufacturers recommended duty cycles. BTW the Nova is only $9.00 more than what you paid for yours. It will be interesting to know what yours is actually outputting once you get your meter. :)

dude,you have bought a crap laser.period. as to this remark:

"good old-fashioned American reverse-engineering" well......... pot,kettle,black. this is what asians are 'famous' for.taking a product and reverse enginerring it for a different market. ::)
if your pen mode-hops,dont try and make excuses for it,just return it.simple. then go to nova.com. ;)

plexus

meth400 said:
dude,you have bought a crap laser.period. as to this remark:

"good old-fashioned American reverse-engineering"   well......... pot,kettle,black. this is what asians are 'famous' for.taking a product and reverse enginerring it for a different market. ::)
if your pen mode-hops,dont try and make excuses for it,just return it.simple.   then go to nova.com. ;)

im perfectly happy with my 120mW pointer that mode hops for 1/2 the price of a nova. but thanks.

dude there not half the price of a nova, the x-105 from nova outputs right around the same mw as that because they always have overspec lasers, if you get a higherd specked laser it could be 120mw average if they send you a lower specked one it could be 112mw, only 8mw below for 9dollors more.. and they should not mode hop within there duty cycle if they do you can get it replaced and the next one should be fine.

And heres the link for the one with the same power as you have...http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=87

wooooooolazer said:
[move]....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D[/move]