Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UK Laser Law

Paddy

Ok so i've been doing a bit of research and as far as i can tell Any laser in the UK is legal.
It's only illegal to buy/sell anything over 1mw that originates from the UK itself.
The only other restriction i can find is health and safety laws about using them in public and that it's a crime to point it at any humanly occupied aircraft.

I heard on the news a few weeks ago that there were laws on even owning them being put in place but after about an hour of trawling through the web and even the legislation page i can't find anything of the sort.
Was just wondering if anyone has any 100% solid information that suggests ordering in a laser from elsewhere/ owning a laser is a crime?

I'm mainly wanting to know this so i know if i have to worry about my laser orders getting caught up in customs on the way in, and whether i have any right to appeal if they do.

tldr; whats the UK laser law, will customs take my laser?

Paddy

Seen it already "health and safety unit"
I think it's a pretty old document too.

Paddy

That was from late 2010
there were discussions of big changes being made in jan but not sure what came of it, and others since.

customs only check a small percentage of things, so it is unlikely it will be opened

UK laws are quite lax, but if you don't use common sense then you will get arrested regardless

Ok so i've been doing a bit of research and as far as i can tell Any laser in the UK is legal.
It's only illegal to buy/sell anything over 1mw that originates from the UK itself.
The only other restriction i can find is health and safety laws about using them in public and that it's a crime to point it at any humanly occupied aircraft.

I heard on the news a few weeks ago that there were laws on even owning them being put in place but after about an hour of trawling through the web and even the legislation page i can't find anything of the sort.
Was just wondering if anyone has any 100% solid information that suggests ordering in a laser from elsewhere/ owning a laser is a crime?

I'm mainly wanting to know this so i know if i have to worry about my laser orders getting caught up in customs on the way in, and whether i have any right to appeal if they do.

tldr; whats the UK laser law, will customs take my laser?

Dark orange marker-Because alien occupied aircrafts dont matter.

I've ordered over 50 lasers.. not a single problem.

AFAIK it's not illegal to import them.. but I can imagine it's frowned upon if the package is opened for a random custom check and found to have a laser in it..

But it is illegal to sell them in the country.. unless they are fully certified and the owner has a license or something like that.

Most companies describe the package as something else.. and give it a low estimated item cost so it doesn't get customs charged.

If you are unsure whether the company does this just ask them :)

www.o-like.com
www.laserglow.com
www.dragonlasers.com

They all do it..

Or just buy one off a member here.

(Actually I had a laser coming through during a recent bomb threat and I didn't get it :D... Just accepted it and moved on)

Last edited: