Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ugly but useful little focus aid for AixiZ lens

Re: Ugly but useful little focus aid for AixiZ len

Makes me want to buy a CNC machine!
(Just sent you a PayPal BTW.)
Awfully nice of you to go to this much trouble.
Please nobody call in the middle of the night asking why their focus ring hasn't arrived!

Lol - cheers guys!

So far these people have requested some:

2x Zarniwoop
2x XGeek
2x Senkat

If there are any spare, I'll just divide them up and give them to the people who wanted some. You may even end up with 3 or 4 at this rate!

After I get back, I'll order some more plastic sheet, as I need some for something else anyway, then I'll be able to make more!!!

Catch you later!

Dan :)

Dan, to answer your question about about importing to the US, with an item that small you can label them as "Samples: No Resale Value" so you don't need any customers paperwork. Also list the value as $0 for the declared value. As you can ship these in an envelope noone will question this.

For those curious, I work for DHL, I know people, that talk to people, that ship stuff =)

I'll most likely be ordering 2 myself.

I bought a box of jiffy bags a few months back, so I'd be most likey to use those. They are A5 paper size, overkill, I know, but it's all I have unless I go out and buy some envelopes!

So they are ok in a jiffy bag then? + written on with the info you stated.

Yeah I would change the wording to Acrylic Samples: No Resale Value

given how small and light they are noone will question you.

Skram0

Is there a way to make these completely round and about 2mm wide/thick? The idea being it fits around the lens module, but doesn't extend beyond the housing too much that it gets in the way. A quick measurement with a measuring tape seems like 2mm would suffice. Maybe even some ridges on outer edge (like a mini sprocket) for grip like some of those other aixiz housings. Can sell'm in lots of 10 or something. ;)

Something like this:

Attachments

• ring.gif
    ring.gif
    1,019 bytes · Views: 81

Gazoo

An off the shelf (sort of) idea is to use a rubber grommet. I have one that fits the lens nicely. Sorry but I am not sure what the size is, probably a half inch.

@ Scram:

Yes, I could make that for you if you wanted. I don't have any more plastic 2mm or 3mm, so if you're sure you want some, I'll order some plastic and cut them out when I get back next week. Any particular colour preference? See what takes your fancy: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/FORMAFAB I don't work for them or anything, they just look like a good supplier for plastic that are cheap. My usual supplier doesn't have any in stock atm, as he usualy only stocks metal etc.

@Gazoo:
12.8mm fits nicely

On one hand a knurled ring may look nicer (more symetrical anyway) but with one handle it's quicker to return to a specific focus setting without having to hunt for it again.
Just my $.02 worth.

Yeah, I guess you could. There's no harm in making a few of each!

BTW: SenKat, XGeek and Zarinwoop; I've posted them out literally moments ago, 1st class, XGeek 1-2 days (UK  :) )
and SenKat, Zarinwoop, about 6 days.

Also, I totaly got the postage estimate wrong, I should buy some scales! It was only £0.78 for the airmail, so I apolagise, and if you want a refund, just let me know. All this posting overseas is new to me!

Also, sorry for kind of 'hijacking' your thread Zarinwoop

Let me know when you get them!

Skram0

Heck, I don't know. How about a red, green, and a blue? One for each laser colour. :) The 2mm I was talking about is measured from the inner diameter to the outer diameter, not the thickness of the plastic. Might be some very small drillin, and probably fairly fragile. I figure 2mm would give just enough lip over the metal casing where it's easy to grab and turn, but won't get in the way where something else can whack it, nudge it, or just plain touch it. :)

A crude example. ;)

Attachments

• ring02.jpg
    ring02.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 87

xgeek

Dan got my adjusters in the mail this morning :D Perfect fit and I have never had such fine control over the focus.

2 thumbs up mate.

Cheers
XG

That was quick!

Glad you liked them.

1. Keep the change - glad to contribute to the cause!
2. I don't mind the threadjack at all - I was hoping somebody could come up with something better than my quick-and-dirty version.
3. I do think maybe a smaller outer diameter would be better, but then I haven't tried this version yet.

Hey - Got my focus ring yesterday. So much classier than what I had - thanks!

Attachments

• DorcyWithFocus.jpg
    DorcyWithFocus.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 110

Fantastic!

I think I'll be making some more, 'cog' shaped ones, as I need some for the hex laser!
Again, I'll keep you posted, and post some out (no pun intended) if there are spares. But that won't be for a few weeks I think.