Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Two green lasers, a 30mW and 50mW, but different makes

Hi, this is my first post. I live in New Zealand and currently lasers are still allowed. I just read the laser buying guide, but want to clarify a couple of things before I go ahead and buy. I really don't want the hassle of ordering from another country, so I hope these ones are okay.

There are a couple of people in NZ who import lasers and sell them on an online auction site. I'm looking at either 30mW or 50mW. I'll be using it for stargazing, making the cat go crazy and attracting UFOs (it works lol).

I know the 50mW should be brighter, but it seems to be a different make than the 30mW one and it might be under powered compared to that one. The guy selling the 30mW one says it has an IR filter on it, but according to the guide I don't really need IR. What I really want to know is, does anybody recognise these lasers and do you know if they're decent? There isn't a brand named so I can't read up reviews or anything.

There is a $14 NZD different between the two, but I want the brighter laser. All I want to know is if being different makes, one of them won't be under powered and all that. I.e. the 30mW one could be nearly or as bright as the 50mW.

30mW 30mW Green laser pointer. for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

50mW Green Laser Pointer Star Projector-Pen Style-50mW for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

first 30mw green is nice piece of a laser as it is chromed, and comes in a metal case.. but it is hard to say if it will be 30mw, or even more, or less..
anyway price is really high..

second style laser is well known here and also it is hard to say how powerfull it can be..

but you can get them both for a much better price, as you mentioned lasers are still allowed in your conutry..

the best place for cheap lasers is DX
DealExtreme: Green Lasers (Page 1)

there you can find what you want, but be careful with 100, or 200mw marked lasers, as we all know it is impossible to get output like this for that price..
Start to read phorum posts and you will know what i am talking about.. Each laser which you can buy on your country auction, or e-bay auction are generaly the same lowpriced lasers sells for lots of money.. you will most likely get underpowered one..
also you can read this topic
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/dx-true-5-a-42294.html
and you will find that you can get some pretty good laser for a steal..

if yoh have paypal account then DX is defiitely way to go, forget about auction you have mentioned.. In my country it is the same.. Couple of guys who know about DX or FP orders those units and then sells them on the internet with a 25euro profit.. this is ridiculous

Milan

Last edited:
DX looked really good, especially with free worldwide postage. But I've been reading a lot of forum posts there with reports of fake lasers (532mm instead of 532nm, and people say those 50mW ones are lower output than other 20mW lasers. If the lasers were real there wouldn't be a type on the label, in my opinion.)

The ones on the auction site might be the same but if I do get a fake one it will be easier to sort out with the seller living in the same city as me.

well the 30mW one is listed as <30mW, so you can be sure it definitely will be less than 30mW. The 50mW one, on the other hand, is listed AS 50mW, but it looks similar to a lot of those cheapy pens that are underspec. I may be wrong on all this, but thats just my opinion

DX looked really good, especially with free worldwide postage. But I've been reading a lot of forum posts there with reports of fake lasers (532mm instead of 532nm, and people say those 50mW ones are lower output than other 20mW lasers. If the lasers were real there wouldn't be a type on the label, in my opinion.)

The ones on the auction site might be the same but if I do get a fake one it will be easier to sort out with the seller living in the same city as me.

it is evident that you are new to this hobby..
each chiness laser is totaly out of specification.. as i said, start reading a forum posts..
forum on the DX site tells you not as this laserpointer forum.

and as you found an info that 50mw is just 20, then you should be happy with a 5mw form DX which culd be easily even 50mw..

one more important thing.. how will you know how powerfull is your laser when you recieve it from your countryfellow??? how will you know that this is not a fake if you will order 50, or 30mw???

i am just curious.

I've been looking around more and the O-Like lasers seem popular. I think it would be best to stay away from the cheap ones. I could probably stretch to $100, about there.

What do you think about this one milantheone? O-Like 100mW green laser pointer (torch) - $112 NZD.

200962121322794808b.jpg

There is also the 50mW version which is only $45 NZD. I've read that the more powerful ones need to heat up before they reach their full potential. Will this happen with a 100mW, or only 150mW+? If the 100mW needs to warm up I'll probably just go for the 50mW, unless that needs to warm up too lol.

Appreciate the help.

EDIT:

This one from Rayfoss looks very nice, I think I like it better than the O-Like one. Comes with a key and charger and I'm not sure the O-Like one does, and it's the same price. According to posts on this forum, Rayfoss is a respectable place to buy from, like O-Like.

2009722185213247.jpg

http://www.rayfoss.com/pro_info.asp?id=1566

Last edited:
o-like has a good reputation here on the forum, but i have never had a green one from them.
only 200mw red one - dilda style..

i have no idea about warm up time of the lasers which you posted above.. but it should be stated at the seller site.
anyway also 50mw laser should need a warm up time before it reach full power.
also warm up time depend's on lot of factors like room temperature and so on.. if it is --zero degrees celsius otside maybe your laser will not even lase..

lots of people here are satisfied with their DX lasers. as far as it will be your first laser ever you should be happy with too..

personaly i am not willing to spent 50usd for a 50mw laser from 0-like, when i can have a 5mw from DX which could easily give me same output just with a little modification and for only a 11usd..
but it is just me.. of course if you prefer quality, and you are able to spent more then o-like is good place to choose a laser from.

seoguy

I bought a green (module) from O-Like, and I have a less than favorable opinion. They also seem to be more $ than some of the other Chinese suppliers for the same products.

For example, those Chinese green laser goggles -
FocalPrice - $7.99, including free shipping
O-Like - $24 + a ridiculous $7 shipping = $31
Nearly 4x the price, for what appears to be the exact same product!

I just bought some of those things - guess from which company??? ;)

personaly i am not willing to spent 50usd for a 50mw laser from 0-like, when i can have a 5mw from DX which could easily give me same output just with a little modification and for only a 11usd..

I like that idea! However, based on some of the latest reports we have been getting, that situation may be changing. I have a new True 5 which should be here shortly, once I've had a chance to check it out, I'll let you know!

dmorgan, the problem with a lot of the Chinese companies like FocalPrice & DX, is that they carry a lot of different brands/types of products, some of which are good, and some of which are total crap. The best thing to do is to look through the Reviews section here. There you will find other members that have actually purchased and tried-out specific models of lasers, and reported their findings to the rest of us.

Often they will include links directly to the page for that product in their review. Sometimes they will even review several lasers side-by-side, like a review of 3 different 50mw lasers, describing the good & bad points of each, and perhaps recommending one as better than the others. Look for reviews by members that have been here a long time, and that really seem to know what they are doing, in order to increase your odds of getting the best advice!

Good Luck! :yh:

Discount Salehoo

The basic or the layman function of SaleHoo is to provide an extensive database of suppliers, wholesalers and sellers with their relevant info like base of location, contact info for example. For many successful eBay sellers and e commerce outlets, SaleHoo is the most important tool to get them fresh suppliers.

SaleHoo provides information on the current hot selling products in the online market and what new supplier offers what to the buyers. SaleHoo can be and effective tool even for you, given that you know the basic concept of SaleHoo.

If you're new to the arena of product sourcing, then you need to have a clear idea of what product sourcing involves and how SaleHoo could precisely help you. First off, SaleHoo is one of the few high profile and reputed wholesale product supplier catalog present on the internet.

It needs being a member on SaleHoo to access all of the information present on the site and get the information on the suppliers and the wholesalers listed under the site. SaleHoo provides all the info on the products ranging from just about everything whether or not you are curious about buying or selling the products.

SaleHoo provides genuine listing of legitimized wholesalers, liquidators, drop shippers, factory distributors and discount retailers. They also give information on Chinese product makers and distributors.

But one thing you need to appreciate is that, SaleHoo is not a product supplying firm. It just provides the information on the suppliers and the drop shippers inquisitive about drop shipping your products to different locations.

SaleHoo provides a superb user forum where you can take part and debate about assorted sellers and wholesalers and know about the best leads to the reduced cost products in the market from which you could earn a profit.

Get SaleHoo for $47, that's's $20 cheaper than anyone else.

kzr22

o-like has a good reputation here on the forum, but i have never had a green one from them.
only 200mw red one - dilda style..

i have no idea about warm up time of the lasers which you posted above.. but it should be stated at the seller site.
anyway also 50mw laser should need a warm up time before it reach full power.
also warm up time depend's on lot of factors like room temperature and so on.. if it is --zero degrees celsius otside maybe your laser will not even lase..

lots of people here are satisfied with their DX lasers. as far as it will be your first laser ever you should be happy with too..

but it is just me.. of course if you prefer quality, and you are able to spent more then o-like is good place to choose a laser from.

what kind of modification r u talking about.

im buying one of thise and ure post makes me curious :O

the 30mw is labeled IIIa so and it actually says less than 30. but i also have the exact same 50mw that i bought off amazon... its also labeled IIIa and you can get the 50mw one off amazon for 16 USD and it does acually have a nice beam in the dark

hey dude where in NZ are you ?

i live in wellington NZ, and my friend imports a lot of lasers, plus im good friends with susie from o-like, so have experience with the cheaper lasers and also the more powerful lasers .. i can probably sort you out with something, will PM you if you like ?