Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Twin 462nm all brass builds bonus (2) A140 builds

Pman

Re: Twin 462nm all brass builds

Just ordered a couple Feilong 32650 from resales in the US and will test them before using as I've heard mixed results with their batteries. I have 4 king Kong cells (26650) I can use and of course lots of 18650 if there is something wrong with them. They were the last set resales had and only $26 for the pair so who knows. Maybe I'll get someone elses return but all the batteries I've bought from them were tested good unlike some others saying they got dead cells. At that price I'll take the chance. I think Jayrob might have some still if I really wanted them fast. I've got so many other batteries I could use there's no reason why I would need them quickly other than "want". I don't like unfinished business.

Pman

Have a problem. Apparently the LED gray uses a t8 torx bit instead of the Allen wrench to unscrew the switch. I have plenty of t8 bits but nothing the same width long past the torx head. In other words past the bit end the rest of the length is wider so it won't fit down the hole. Have to find a long one that is skinny all the way down the shaft. Any ideas?

Just ordered a set that still looked the same width past the end from amazon so if I can't find anything else I should be good.

Last edited:

GSS

How much more length is needed. Will grinding down the hex part of the bit a little let it reach?

Pman

The issue is not the torx bit end, it's the shaft. All the ones I have strengthen the shaft by making it wider so it won't fit down the hole. The rest of the length past of the tip is wider than the tip so it won't fit down inside the hole past the tip and it has to go down the hole so the torx tip will go into the torx screw to unscrew it. Not sure how else to explain it.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

I meant grinding down the shaft a bit or enough till it fits in the hole that blocking it. I'm guessing its the standard size that fits screw driver type host. The shaft has to be about an inch long?

Last edited:

Pman

Here's the explanation I found and it explains it well. It's a t8 but almost all torx drivers come with too wide a shaft to fit inside so you can either grind it down or make your own flathead screwdriver that is the width of a t7 torx as a t8 will have 4 sides directly opposite from each other so you can fit it in and unscrew it. Would be bad if you broke the end off inside though.
I think I'll try the screwdriver trick as I have tons of small jeweler type ones that I could make to a t7 width. Will be interesting to see if the torx set I just ordered that will be here Friday will work or not. I get the feeling they won't though with ought grounding the shaft down at least 1-1.5" past the tip.
The only lights that apparently come with the 5/16 set screw still are older stock ones. Out of the 8 mags I got on closeout at Home depot the only 2 that need the special t8 are the LED ones. I heckled and all 6 of the regular ones are older stock because they still use the 5/16 allen. Guess they wanted to make it hard for people to hack them. Stupid on their end though as they should have either used something trickier or at leat an odd numbered torx so the slots never align to do the flat head screwdriver trick.

Oops, forgot the link:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?275264-new-set-screw-tool-for-Mag-D-switch

Last edited:

GSS

Gotcha Pman. Till this day i'm so confused as to why some bolts on my Buick are standard and the top half of the same part are metric?:whistle:
Edit also: Saw the link. Had to be a cheaper parts issue, or to make it harder to repair so some will just buy a new light. Is that that long torx bit you ordered Pete?

Last edited:

Pman

I'm messing around right now and will figure it out. In fact I realized I am wrong about odd sided torx. I have to look but I believe they all have slots across from eachother.

EDIT: I did it! I realized to get the size right all I had to do was take any 5/16 allen wrench as it is the correct width already and make the flats on either side and It should fit right. First try was spot on:)
pl43MQ7fj

pooKIt5jj

This piece of the assembly is also a t8:
pnH114xjj

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS