Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial of a subject I know nothing about

Zom-B

Step 1: Take yer regular 'ol tape.

HPIM4759_small.jpg

Step 2: Find t3h polarizors

Hpim4760_small.jpg

I also have a polarized glasses, which I'll use from now on for convenience.

The direction of the polarization of the glasses is right and up.
The direction of the polarization of all the other small ones is diagonal, they all came from LCD displays (smart... prevents blackouts with polarized sunglasses ;))

To show the effect, I hold one of the polarized sheets diagonal in front of both eyes and in one situation the result is transparent and in the other it's opaque.

Hpim4764_small.jpg
Hpim4763_small.jpg

When holding it vertical, it's half-transparent, so we won't use this anytime soon

Hpim4774_small.jpg
Hpim4773_small.jpg

Step 3: Inspect the tape

I placed a piece of tape between a U-shaped object, in this case a peg.
The tape is not polarized. Whichever you hold it, it stays transparent.

HPIM4792_small.jpg
Hpim4793_small.jpg
Hpim4794_small.jpg

Step 4: The magic.

Place the tape in between two polarizers. Wait.. The polarization changes?

Hpim4765_small.jpg
Hpim4766_small.jpg
Hpim4767_small.jpg

Let's do that again, now with the other eye

Hpim4768_small.jpg
Hpim4769_small.jpg

It really happens.

What about in front or behind both polarizers?

Hpim4770_small.jpg
Hpim4771_small.jpg

Nothing happens

Does it always work when in between, I mean even with odd rotations between the two polarizers? Let's place the polarizer vertical again, so the polarizing directions differ by 45 degrees.

Hpim4775_small.jpg
Hpim4776_small.jpg

The effect still happens, and just as strong. Complete darkness is possible even though the polarizers don't commute.

What about two tapes between the polarizers? I'll place two tapes on top of each other on the peg, both in the same direction.

Hpim4777_small.jpg
Hpim4778_small.jpg

What? It doesn't go bright and dim anymore, but changes from blue to yellow and back.

Step 5: t3h fun

Remember, tape on the side behind both polarizers stays invisible? Idea! two-sided screen. One polarizer with tape on both sides, I can create two distinct images, of which only one is visible at any time.

Hpim4780_small.jpg

Try to guess what's on it....

Guess again, it's TAPE!

Now with the polarized glasses in front off the camera:

Hpim4781_small.jpg
Hpim4782_small.jpg

And the back side

Hpim4783_small.jpg
Hpim4784_small.jpg

Huh? Let's see that again, closer.

Hpim4786_small.jpg
Hpim4788_small.jpg
Hpim4787_small.jpg

Multiple colors? Yes! by rotating the tapes with respect to each other.

Question:
Try to guess how I did the gradient on one side..

[edit]
Video of the effect, with rotations and flipping.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4FggYByXoo[/media]

Zom-B

The real question I have for you guys,

How is this possible, What is causing this?

At first I thought maybe the tape rotates the polarization, just like the crystals in the LCDs. Then I realized, if that's true, then the orientation of the thing that rotates (the tape) shouldn't matter, yet it does.

I'm out of ideas here.

Wow..... is this something you stumbled upon by yourself? If so, how did you stumble upon it? Very cool effects, and i haven't a clue as to what causes this. :)

Ted

Zom-B

Yes, I found out while trying another experiment which involves taping polarizers together. That other experiment failed btw.

Zom-B said:
Yes, I found out while trying another experiment which involves taping polarizers together. That other experiment failed btw.

Lol, your experiment took a complete left turn on you and you ran with it! Great job!! ;D

Ted

thesk8nmidget said:
not sure but maybe it has something to do with scotch tape being able to x-ray ??

Yeah... I was thinking the same thing... since they found that Scotch tape emits X-Rays when
being pulled of the roll... :)

I think they they found the original Scotch tape recipe at Roswell.... ::)

That's nuts!
:eek:

I have no Idea what is going on but it's so crazy!

Nice discovery!

Zom-B

I doubt the tape is scotch tape. It's just tape from the local shop put in this quality holder.

lasersbee said:
[quote author=thesk8nmidget link=1227208510/0#2 date=1227209724]not sure but maybe it has something to do with scotch tape being able to x-ray ??

Yeah... I was thinking the same thing... since they found that Scotch tape emits X-Rays when
being pulled of the roll... :)

I think they they found the original Scotch tape recipe at Roswell.... ::)[/quote]

The fact that scotch tape emits xrays when it's pulled off the roll under a vacuum isn't especially strange... Wint-o-green lifesavers emit ultraviolet radiation when you chew them and the menthol oil in them multiplies the frequency of light up into the visible spectrum as a bluish green (an effect that's related to the tape thing and imho, much more fascinating). A lot of different crystalline structures emit all sorts of things when they're broken... You'd be amazed at all the cool things that happen at the microscopic level all around you, sticky tape emitting xrays is just a newly found example of this. It's nothing to do with the tape having some sort of special powers, it's just that we're not all that observant of the things going on around us all the time.

As for scotch tape having weird polarization properties I'm as confused as anyone... I'd try to figure out what kind of plastic film is used and what kind of adhesive is used and then try to test them separately... I'm wildly guessing that the adhesive probably isn't the culprit since it's likely sprayed on... Maybe it has to do with the particular type of plastic and how it's made into a film... Tomorrow at work I'll play around with some polarizing filters off some LCDs we have laying around and I'll see how different types of plastics behave... I'm assuming the tape is some sort of acetate...

I think this could be fun... I know my boss has some polarizing sunglasses, maybe I can write hidden messages on his LCD monitor that he can only see with his glasses on... [smiley=evil.gif]

Zom-B

What's Wint-o-green? All google finds has to do with those sparks emitted o_O

It isn't the glue, as sometimes the glue separates from the tape when pulling it off of something, and it still keeps these properties.

I don't have the original package of the tape either.

I think it has to do something with how the plastics solidify, and in which direction it was flowing. I tried some other transparent plastic things and most of them also seem to have this property. Usually it seems to be directed away from the point where liquid plastic is inserted in the mold. One of them even creates all rainbow colors, not just yellow/blue.

I'll make some pictures laster after I recharged my camera batteries and have live view capability again

Zom-B

Very chaotic
HPIM4798_small.jpg

Mold center
Hpim4799_small.jpg

Stress points in a cut transparent CD-r
Hpim4800_small.jpg

Rainbow colors in a CD box cover
Hpim4801_small.jpg

By now I realized I have an even bigger polarizer

More rainbow colors
Hpim4802_small.jpg