Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial: Mini Mag With FlexDrive - Red or Blu-ray!

Jayrob, this is a great build and I'm glad I found your tutorial. I have a busted mini mag that I wanna convert to a Blu-Ray (PHR-803T @ modwerx.com) pointer with an ideal operating range of 100-120mW (seem like a safe range).

I am a noob and this will be my first build...

I do have a (dumb) question tho: When you connect the ground wire to the "flexdrive mound" should the ground wire make contact with the "custom spacer," it being the negative contact point? Reason I ask is because its hard to tell with the pic, is the "ground wire" "loaded" with solder in the pics?

Again, I am a noob and this will be my first build... Hopefully it will turn out well.

I'll be putting in an order for the 'Hot' option (100-120mW), custom heatsink, spacer and o-ring, next pay day.. (early August) keep an eye out for my PM... sweet build, homie. :D

-The Dude Ar

jayrob

It's a good question...

Yes, the ground wire is tinned thick for a better contact with the spacer.

It's important to note that I have put a little dielectric tune up grease on both ends of the spacer to help with a better contact for ground.

This is the one area where this build is not 'rock solid'. But if you get it right, it will be fine. The battery puts pressure on the spring loaded driver mount, pressing it tight to pinch the ground wire against the spacer, which is touching the bare metal end of the host.

I would like to think of an even better way to ground it, but this method works fine if done properly...

The thing is, you want to be able to take it apart easily if you ever need to adjust the driver or anything. Since the driver is mounted up inside the barrel, it has to be able to slide back out if you need it to. Probably a copper spacer with the ground soldered directly to it would be much better.
Jay

Cool, That makes sense... I just wanted to make sure that I understand the theory correctly... Thanks for the breakdown, homie.

-The Dude Ar

timmer

I would like to purchase one 'Hot' option - $55 (FlexDrive installed with current set)
How might i go about doing this?