Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tungsten Hosts?

Solid silver would make an awesome host. It would look amazing. I don't think it's really any softer than aluminum or copper depending on its purity. Plus it doesn't tarnish all that fast. You might need to polish every two months. That really has me thinking now. I'm going to see if I can find some silver round bar. It would be to make a high power green with two 14500's. Direct press the diode and it would be pretty good.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
There's been a few beautiful solid silver hosts out there in the past, some of them with jewels in them! :cool:
Check out this one from Wolfman29 -HERE-; I've always liked this one.
Here's another nice little one!

Last edited:
Those are pretty nice. I think I'm going to make mine less ornate. Definitely some jewels though. I have a bunch from scrapping gold. And real carbon fiber on the grip. I'm going to see if Ehgemus can work with silver. Although I just ordered 7 more hosts for him to build. It might have to wait. But it will be done.

GSS

How about a nice 14kt gold host, maby I can get a few of my eh eh om... "Patriots" Super Bowl rings.:rolleyes: As far as a electrical conductor is silver the best? and what would be the best thermal heatsink after copper? I know this is a non stop of continuing subject but if money or materials were no object.

How about a nice 14kt gold host, maby I can get a few of my eh eh om... "Patriots" Super Bowl rings.:rolleyes: As far as a electrical conductor is silver the best? and what would be the best thermal heatsink after copper? I know this is a non stop of continuing subject but if money or materials were no object.

Silver is the king of the metals in reflectivity, thermal and electrical conductivity, but it's not terribly expensive, or hard to machine, so it's doable. If someone could find silver shot (normally the cheapest) I might be able to melt it in my blast furnace and cast rods of it for machining.

GSS

Silver is only marginally better than copper at thermal conductivity
Silver = 429 W/(m K)
Copper = 401 W/(m K

You can buy 1" silver rod here: Silver (Ag) | Silver
Their silver foil or sheets could sure help on some builds, would be nice to have on hand. 1" silver heat sink in a copper host, sweet thought!

No sadly, though I might get one eventually. I do have a blast furnace though, and it might be capleable of melting silver.

Well then shipping it might be a PITA because you're shipping solid metal to another member, only to have them machine it and then ship it again.