Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Traveling with a class IV 2w 450nm laser

bombastic56734

Hello there everyone,
So after a long wait, finally it's time to travel and visit a new country. In the mean time, it has been not so long since I got my hands on my first Class IV laser. I know someone who had a not very good experience with bringing lasers from abroad.
So I really wonder if there's any way to safely migrate a laser from one country to another without driving any suspicions.
Please advise if this matter has been discussed before by referring to the thread.
Thanks in advance

I’ve traveled with lasers many times, although they were <5mW lol 😀

I wouldn’t worry about it. If possible not traveling with batteries wouldn’t hurt. If anyone asks what it is just say a flashlight (which is kinda is when unfocused, lol.

Safe travels :)

Seriously, just don’t do anything stupid with it and you most likely will go through a problem.

-Alex

Reactions: GSS

BobMc

Food for thought; turn the lens around backwards, it prevents it from focusing and it does turn it into an awesome colored flashlight...

Be safe, BobMc :)

onceinBp

Hello there everyone,
So after a long wait, finally it's time to travel and visit a new country. In the mean time, it has been not so long since I got my hands on my first Class IV laser. I know someone who had a not very good experience with bringing lasers from abroad.
So I really wonder if there's any way to safely migrate a laser from one country to another without driving any suspicions.
Please advise if this matter has been discussed before by referring to the thread.
Thanks in advance
Hi, just wondering if you had any problems after checking it for your flight. Planning to fly from the US to Mexico with a 1600mW laser cutter head in my checked bag (it's for a SnapMaker if you're curious). Thanks!

I've never flown or transported lasers across boarders, but the things I would think of to do would be remove batteries and keep them in a separate area or bag, or better yet don't bring any batteries in at the same time at all. Then unfocus the lasers, and put protective caps on the lasers to block the aperture.

I know there were a number of comments on others experiences with flying with lasers in a few threads here, so if you havent yet take a search through the forum search to see if any old comments are helpful.