Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Time for a new flashlight (<$100 led)

Here is essentially what I am looking for in a new flashlight.

- LED
- Powered by rechargeable batteries (18650 preferred)
- Good for long distance use/good throw/little splash
- Less than $100

If someone could be so kind as to link me to or post a list of good brands that would be helpful as well, I thought I saw a list of trusted brands but couldn't find it again.

My current favorites;

Eagletac G25C2, Mark 2 - A little over $100 though.

Jetbeam BC25 - Can be found for under $50 (amazon iirc, and battery stores).

Crelant V9CS - $43 Crelant 9VCS 658 Lumen handheld Tactical Light

The Crelant is an absolute maximum size for what I consider to be pocket carry. I also have the 7g2CS which is identical, just a different reflector/head, that produces less throw and more flood.

Or are you looking for larger lights?

Here is essentially what I am looking for in a new flashlight.

- LED
- Powered by rechargeable batteries (18650 preferred)
- Good for long distance use/good throw/little splash
- Less than $100

If someone could be so kind as to link me to or post a list of good brands that would be helpful as well, I thought I saw a list of trusted brands but couldn't find it again.

If you act quickly, you can grab a free one here: Free Charge for 77 pcs Crelant Flashlight for Celebrating the Coming Christmas

I would recommend this:

2-121015160UWU.png

or

2-1211221911334X.jpg

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions Infinitus and Ryan. I'm not looking for anything huge. I do like the looks of the Crelant V9CS. How does the JetBeam compare to it though? I like ordering from amazon much better than other sites since I get free two day shipping. If it's about the same I will just get the JetBeam, if the Crelant is better, I will just order it or hopefully find a store near me with one.

Out of the two, I would get the Jetbeam because of its variable output control. Plus, it has a copper LED PCB, so I would think it sags less under heat.

Are you going to EDC these lights? How do you expect to use them?

Out of the two, I would get the Jetbeam because of its variable output control. Plus, it has a copper LED PCB, so I would think it sags less under heat.

Mostly everyday use, but I do go camping and go hiking. The longest I would have it on at a time is maybe an hour or so, so I'm assuming battery life shouldn't be a huge issue. I could always carry a couple extra 18650s and it wouldn't be a problem.

How important is it that it has little spill? If you want lots of throw with little spill you should get an XP-G or XP-G2 light. If you can sacrifice some throw to get much more overall light and spill you should get an XM-L light. You should also figure out which tint you want. Cool white will appear a bit brighter and neutral white will give you a more accurate rendering of colour.

XP-G2
Armytek Predator ~$119
Fenix PD32 (S2) ~$80 (wont get as much throw, but is a smaller light)
4sevens Maelstrom G5 ~$90-$110 depending on XPG or XPG2 emitter)

XM-L
Armytek Predator X ~$119
Eagletac G25C2 MK2 ~$119
Klarus XT11 - ~$90
Thrunite TN11 - ~$55
Thrunite TN11S - $110

Max head diameter I would go is 40mm. With that you can still get a lot of throw but it wont be too uncomfortable in a jacket pocket.

Personally I would got for an XM-L light. YOu dont sacrifice all that much throw but you get a lot more overall light.

My choice would be the Predator X or the G25C2 MK2. Predator is VERY customizable and build quality is top notch and the G25C2 MKII put out a tonne of light although I cannot comment on build quality as I have not held one. This is of course dependant on if you can stretch your budget.

Take a look at this page. This guy does tonnes of reviews and have a lot of great info in them

Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews

Here are some reputable brands:
4sevens
Armytek
EagleTac
Fenix
HDS Systems
Klarus Light
Nitecore
Olight
Sunwayman
Surefire
ThruNite
XTAR
Zebralight

There are other... but these are the ones im confident in listing for you.

Last edited:
Personally I prefer NW on all lights. The close color perception more than makes up for the slight loss of power. The newer XML, U3, and U4 are supposed to be even better:D

Regarding the quality of the Eagletac, it's just as good or better than surefire, fenix, etc,. I really can't fault it at all for quality.

My only BIG complaint is that it doesn't tailstand.

Also with the XPG vs XML situation... I'm firmly in the XML fan club. Yes the XPG produces more throw/tighter beam, but overall for up close stuff, under 100 feet, the XML wins hands down.

Armytek... hopefully soon I'll be able to comment on :p

Btw, so far nothing, and I meant NOTHING has been able to touch the throw of the Crelant 7G5CS with an aspheric. Not even lights 5x the price. Of course this comes at a price... almost zero spill, but it's so very very cool.

Little correction... the Crelant has the variable output control, not the Jetbeam. The jetbeam only has High and Low mode.

IMO the Jetbream is better made. For the price <$50 it's a fantastic light.

With the I've come to LOVE being able to adjust brightness on the spot, and the side button.

Little correction... the Crelant has the variable output control, not the Jetbeam. The jetbeam only has High and Low mode.

IMO the Jetbream is better made. For the price <$50 it's a fantastic light.

With the I've come to LOVE being able to adjust brightness on the spot, and the side button.

Whoops, sorry about that. I just noticed Jetbeam BC25's rotating bezel feature and jumped to the conclusion that it has variable brightness control.

Coincidentally, the Crelant has the variable output ramping system. :)

Cheers! :beer:

So here is what I am still interested in:
Thrunite TN11
JETBeam BC25

Which of those to is better, or, is there one that is relatively similar in size and is brighter and has better throw? I'm assuming both of those would be more than sufficient for my needs though.

The TN11 will throw quite a bit more. If throw is what you need. That may be your best bet.

So here is what I am still interested in:
Thrunite TN11
JETBeam BC25

Which of those to is better, or, is there one that is relatively similar in size and is brighter and has better throw? I'm assuming both of those would be more than sufficient for my needs though.

I use a cheap ~£2 Energizer 4xAAA torch. It has run fine for a couple of years now and has a good throw.

It's a sold light, got for it.

I can't see how it would do that much better on throw VS the Jetbeam, but it does offer some other things over the jetbeam IMO.

I can't see how it would do that much better on throw VS the Jetbeam, but it does offer some other things over the jetbeam IMO.

IIRC the TN11 has a bit of a deeper reflector and about 200 more lumen. This is why it has more throw.

Manufacturers claims:
BC25 - 189m
TN11 - 355m

Actual:
BC25 - couldnt find one
TN11 - 254m (on a single 18650, would be 274m with 2 CR123s)

Even the actual beam distance is higher on the TN11 than the manufacturer claims of the BC25 which are almost always exaggerated.

Dont get me wrong, I think both lights are great. But since the OP asked for throw specifically, I think the TN11 would beat out the BC25.

Thanks once again for all the help, I am going to get the TN11. I will be ordering it within the next couple days.

If a moderator or staff member see this thread, you can close it.

Update: TN11 is ordered. I have 6 tenergy 750mah LiFePO4 (rcr123a) batteries on the way as well to go with it. Hopefully they will give me an hour of runtime. I really need to get some 18650s though... It's a shame amazon doesn't carry 18650s for any reasonable price. I am hoping to find some decent panasonics or something with at least a true 2600mah.

Update 2: I have the light in hand. I am very impressed with the brightness. It really does put all maglites to shame (at least the non-modded ones hehehe). I got a terralux led bulb for my 2 d cell mag and I thought it was bright when I put it in compared to the incandescent, but the TN11 is at least 5 times brighter and much more intense. I would not want to be on the other side of it while it's in strobe mode or full power.

Thanks for making the recommendation for it. For $55 it's well worth the price.

Last edited: