Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Think I just experienced an Ocular Migraine

Free trip with those zig-zag colors, but they aren't in the center of my vision where I can really see them well, I guess that's good. Once I had told someone out here I was having one (mistake) and some military dude told me I shouldn't be working overseas on a military base if I had them which was an uninformed harsh judgment, they aren't a problem, I can see well to drive fine, if it happens then, just can't read for a few brief minutes which I won't do driving anyway.

Last edited:

Free trip with those zig-zag colors, but they aren't in the center of my vision where I can really see them well, I guess that's good. Once I had told someone out here I was having one (mistake) and some military dude told me I shouldn't be working overseas on a military base if I had them which was an uninformed harsh judgment, they aren't a problem, I can see well to drive fine, if it happens then, just can't read which I won't do driving anyway.

Trying to explain the fuzzy zig-zags to people is a bit difficult if they don't know what you're talking about....

Also I'm glad you don't read while driving, they invented audiobooks for that :p

Some flashing pulse rates can cause seizures in some people, it's a warning on video games, maybe led backlit PC screens can trigger OM in some people.
It's interesting that you can see when the cameras frame rate interferes and makes lines across the oscillating fan blades.

I think I see some phantom color at :50 and 1:47

On a side note: You can see phantom color in silver fan blades if the speed is right that it interferes with our eyes natural information rate, but that's not what this video is about, it's just multiples of the oscillating fan matching the pulse rate of the led making a persistence of vision effect, but you can see color where there is none at certain pulse rates, this could be an OM trigger ?

Last edited:
The first time I wondered if I'd somehow ingested a psychedelic drug or something as I saw all these multi-colored zigzags going through my vision.

I thought the same thing. Who's spiked my Pepsi?! :crackup:

Well update time...
I Went to the doctors last night and they basically said the same thing. They just said its probably a Retinal migraine (same thing as an ocular migraine) and that there isn't much I can do other than monitor my diet to see if anything in my diet is triggering it. I was thinking maybe artificial sweetener was the trigger as it has been said to trigger some peoples ocular migraines. I had a can of Pepsi max in the morning but I had a Large Pepsi Max from KFC the day before with no problems.