Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Things to buy

Hi guys im in Australia so its a little hard to come by laser parts here so im looking at buying everything in one go from somewhere, the only place I know of is aixiz but if anyone can chime in with another that has everything I need that has good prices I will be happy :)

I currently have 2x LG BH10LS30 10x blu ray drives that I managed to get for $84 each I have no use for them so I thought I would build a pointer :)

just gathering up a list of things I need - aside from the host I will work that out at a later date I just want to get the main hardware up and running and tested

I have never built a pointer before but I have modded existing pointers into laser shows with servo's and mirrors.

I really dont want to mess this up so I have researched how to remove the diode and I feel pretty comfortable on that side of things.

what I have in my cart so far is...

2x Glass UV Lens
2x aixiz housing
2x aixiz drivers ( are these suitable or is there something else I should use?) http://aixiz.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=208

is there anything else im missing? I also need to look into supply power, I see a lot of people on here using rechargeable batteries is this because of the lower voltage or just simply dont want to replace batteries?

main thing im worried about is heat - I cant find a place that sells a heatsink to match the 12mm housing, im sure they exist im just a laser noob

second thing is what current I should be aiming for I found some graphs and what not on here that go upto 400mw but that seems pretty extreme, I just want to have it in the safe range im guessing thats around 100-150?- I found this thread http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/hello-lg-bh10ls30-10x-47723.html with a lot of info on the diode

last question im guessing pretty useless but can you make pointers out of blu ray readers? I have half a dozen of them laying around my workshop they are dvdrw/blu ray player combo drives of various different models

Last edited:

rhd

Modwerx, OLike, Rayfoss - I think all three have everything in one place.