Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thick line laser

lander

Hey,

I am trying to find a configuration for creating a thick (~10mm) laser line, fan angle around 35°.

From what I understand the moulded plastic lenses or rod lenses need a narrow and focused beam to work. A powell lens is too heavy and bulky for me.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I am wondering if a cylindrical concave - convex lens could be used as a 1D beam expander. Thus expanding the line thickness after passing the beam through a plastic line generator lens.

Excuse my ignorance but are you looking for a wide beam 532? Im not sure what you mean about fan angle but thought of one thing that may help. O-like sells a wide beam 532nm handheld that doesn't have a removable beam expander. Its has a concave looking front lens that expand the beam to a wide one. Reasonably priced as well. Comes in a few different power outputs. I have been tempted to buy one on occasion. Here it is
High Power 50mW Green laser wand /Wide beam/focuasable [OL-OWDG-50] - $54.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

diachi

Excuse my ignorance but are you looking for a wide beam 532? Im not sure what you mean about fan angle but thought of one thing that may help. O-like sells a wide beam 532nm handheld that doesn't have a removable beam expander. Its has a concave looking front lens that expand the beam to a wide one. Reasonably priced as well. Comes in a few different power outputs. I have been tempted to buy one on occasion. Here it is
High Power 50mW Green laser wand /Wide beam/focuasable [OL-OWDG-50] - $54.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

He's talking about creating a line that is 10mm wide. The fan angle he referred to I believe is the angle at which the line widens.

lander

Hi

Yes exactly, I want to be able to project a collimated 10mm thick beam through a line generator lens with a fan angle of about 35 degree. So if I shine the laser on a wall 5m away I should see a 10mm thick line, about 3m wide.

Thank you for the link olympus, I might buy that module to start experimenting. I would like to take that beam output and run it through a line generator lens of some kind, but I'm not sure if its possible.