Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thermal Issues - Heatsink Odd Size Modules

kephas

I have a laser module 300mW 780nm 16mm x 65mm. The module has a listed operating temperature of 15C-30C and I'd like to run it 20-30minutes.

I don't think any passive heat sinking is going to keep the temperature that low.

I don't know if I can show a link to the module shown on Ebay? I won't until I hear otherwise from an admin.

I have thought to use an external fan, e.g. a regular house fan to blow in that direction. Additionally, I have thought to somehow attach 16mm aluminum washers to the outside of this module with thermal grease.

I noticed that most heatsinks designed for lasers have a 12mm core. So, I'm looking for ways to accommodate this "odd" size module, which itself is something of a heatsink around the diode, itself made of, I believe aluminum.

The operating temperature seems awfully low, and something I didn't really pay attention to being a somewhat naive buyer, but if anyone can point me in a direction to increase the thermal conductivity of this unit to dissipate as much heat as possible considering I may operate this while running my fan next to it. Hmmm.... I might have to by a industrial strength fan. That might be the easiest way to go.

Still, this might not be enough. Basically, I'm asking how can I maximize the heat dissipation so that with the air flow, I can reduce as much heat as possible? Hmmm... maybe I'll wear a jacket and run it inside my walk in refrigerator at work! LOL... But, then I wonder if the operating temp would drop below 15C? It's about 4C inside there. My coworkers would think I'm nuts, but hey, I"m good for that. :)

Fiddy

thats a long run time, why so long?

you would best get a CPU heatsink and drill it out to 16mm then thermal paste it to the module.

heatsink4.jpg