Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thermal Camera with IR illuminator

bravodenisu

Can anyone answer me!
If someone has a thermal camera (for hunting), can an IR illuminator help? Hunters say that when they turn on the Illuminator, the thermal camera gives a better picture. Is it true? How much does it give a better picture?
If so then I am glad because I love IR illuminators. waiting for more answers!
THANKS

It makes no difference on my flir. Are you sure they're talking thermal imaging and not about your usual night vision IR?

All that follows is speculation:

I'm not 100% sure on how it operates, but I have a guess why. Assume the following:
Visible light is from 400-700nm
IR illuminators are around 900nm
Black body radiation that thermal cameras look at are around 9900nm (room temp).

The thermal radiation that at least my camera is looking for is an order of magnitude longer than your typical IR illuminator. It probably doesn't look all the way up to 900nm. I doubt most designed for hunting will either... Plus, I'd imagine a more centralized average peak any sort of emitter would give would end up taking away contrast you'd otherwise have, if anything.

One thing I would like to see is a CO2 laser in thermal vision since that's around 10,600 nm. I'd be interested to know if that shows up as a beam of intense "cold" to one of these... but not interested enough to buy one myself and try. Edit: found some photos on thermal imaging forums. Ruins the camera, don't try it.

An IR illuminator is completely invisible to FLIR. It sees heat, not light.
Do you have a pvs14 or some other night vision device? What are you using to SEE your beloved IR illumination?

bravodenisu

Thank you so much for the reply!
So I would like to see somewhere (some video or picture) Thermovision and turn on the IR illuminator briefly (850nm or 940nm ...)!
If you find it or someone tests it, please let me know. I really want to be sure if you can see a little beam of light through the thermal imaging.

Thanks friends. :oops: