Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"TheMonk" Open Can diode Review

Okay, so I decided I needed to do My first open can laser, in an MXDL flashlight.

I hav enot had much luck in the past with extracting closed can diodes in the past, and was not ready to risk killing a 30 dollar open can diode from a 112D

Then, TheMonk offered me an opencan in a module with leads soldered for $36 shipped. I was all over this, as just the DVD burner from newegg costs around $38 shipped.

*NOTE* the diode he offered was not from a 112D, but all open cans seem to be the same, and that wasnt a big problem.

so I bought it.

I ordered on friday, 1/18, and it was in my mailbox on tuesday 1/22
*NOTE* Monday was a holiday and there was no mail, and he DID NOT ship with priority, yet it got here quick,  [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] thumbs up on that one

opencandiode001xu0.jpg

As you can see here, the packaging was in good condition "the rip is from me opening it, it didnt come liek that lol  [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

opencandiode002ct9.jpg

The Masking tape looked a bit funny at first, but then I realized it was part of an excellent packaging, with layers upon layers of bubblewrap, bags, etc to protect the diode  [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

opencandiode003ae2.jpg

opencandiode004ac4.jpg

opencandiode005qg9.jpg

opencandiode006hz7.jpg

The Diode was not in an anti static baggie, but that was no problem as the leads from the diode were touching, and the diode came in working condition  [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

opencandiode007sq3.jpg

The one downside it had was the part in which the actual diode is resting was worn out and the silver coating had coem off, but this isnt too much of a problem as its only cosmetic. sonce this is the part the diode is in, I cannot replace it, without risking killing the diode while taking it out. its all good though, cosmetic issues arent too bad  [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] (not bad, but no t good, sorta in between)

opencandiode008ge4.jpg

Very good soldering job on the leads, and the diode pins were cut short too,  [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

opencandiode009fr1.jpg

Yup this was certainly open can!

opencandiode010rz0.jpg

The black focusing thing came with a focusing ring, nice addition, and the back was cut out perfectly  [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Overall I give it 4.6/5 stars, and I will defenitely shop with TheMonk again.

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

BTW, its currently running on a LM317T circuit with 3.8ohms resistance, yeilding about 320 mA. it gets warm to the touch after a good 30 seconds on, and YES THANK GOD no more can window, so no more distortions form leaving on too long!!!

waiting for that MXDL to come, and the AMC 7135....

Dont worry gazoo, I will insulate the diode module from the MXDL  ;D ;D ;D ;)

regards,

amk

Gazoo

;D You know I would have warned you about insulating it..lol. Glad you got an open can, you are going to love it :)

Lorgar

I think the wear on the diode case is from sanding to make it fit properly

Gazoo said:
;D You know I would have warned you about insulating it..lol. Glad you got an open can, you are going to love it :)

yup, I sure am lovin it!!! ;D

burns a HELL of a lot better than the 16x canned diodes

vurned through CD case (slim) in 10 seconds

lights matches instantly

its harder to collimate though, as the dot itsnt perfectly or close to perfectly the same at different distances when collimated to the best of my ability, the 16x diodes are easier to collimate IMO

it may be because the focus ring is limiting how far I an screw it in

regards,

amk

Gazoo

Yup, I know what you mean. I believe the reason is the actual beam specs of the diodes are slightly different. Also the lens has a lot to do with it. My meredith glass lens collimates better then the acrylic lens.

But anyway...have fun burning.. ;D

Amkdeath,

I am glade you like it. :D I was a little worry at first that you might turn it to a LED (numbers of diodes killed in your signature). The casing was from eBay Sure Electronics; the diode housing is fatter and deeper than Aixiz or DX types. After sanded off the edges it fixes in side the Leadlight case very tightly.

The collimating lens used in the open can doesn’t need to screw in as deep to collimate, if you compare it to a close can you will be able to tell the difference.

BTW the paper masking tape wasn't meant for showing. :-[

Have fun burning :cool:

TheMonk said:
Amkdeath,

I am glade you like it. :D I was a little worry at first that you might turn it to a LED (numbers of diodes killed in your signature). The casing was from eBay Sure Electronics; the diode housing is fatter and deeper than Aixiz or DX types. After sanded off the edges it fixes in side the Leadlight case very tightly.

The collimating lens used in the open can doesn’t need to screw in as deep to collimate, if you compare it to a close can you will be able to tell the difference.

BTW the paper masking tape wasn't meant for showing. :-[
Have fun burning  :cool:

Actually, I think the masking tape contributed to the tight and secure little place for the diode, and I am not upset for it...

thanks, im burning like hell now

regards,

amk

BTW, is this plastic or glass lens? is tehre a way I can get a glass aixiz screw in lens?

amkdeath said:
BTW, is this plastic or glass lens? is tehre a way I can get a glass aixiz screw in lens?

I think it's plastic lens, I am not sure about glass lens.  :-/I don't have one yet.

chido

He already knows about that, look at the date on the post before yours.

jake21

let me no when u get another diode, and ill put insurance on it thanks  :)