Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The waiting game...

S

SenKat

Okay - I have been shopping for lasers for a while now - got in my first 5mw 532nm unit - takes CR123 batt (yuck !) But has a visable beam at night, and is incredibly bright ! I have several others on order - 8mw, 50mw, 100mw, and a 120mw...we'll see how those turn out. Right now, I am scouring the web to find plans for building experimental units from the diode up - I am going to start with an IR 908nm 500mw diode and see what burns up when I construct something from it :eek: I've already got the goggles standing by, and cannot wait to start up the soldering iron ! Any good parts/plans out there to be had ? I am an accomplished solderer - built many pcb's in my time, but may need some advice if anyone here has any experience with building lasing units....

S

SenKat

BeautySoulQueen said:
most of these r very powerful!
r u sure u should have em? LOL

Prolly SHOULDN'T, but - hey a guy has to have his toys, too ! :p I JUST got the 120mw one in the mail - powered it up, and aimed it at the packing foam, and INSTANT smoke....AWESOME....MUCH brighter than the 5mw one...can't wait to stick some NIMH rechargable batts in there and see what high power does to it !! Super sweet, clean looking laser - oh yeah - getting a used Nexus soon, too....hehehehehe one can NEVER have too many toys, right ?

T

timelord

I don't think you can get goggles for IR but don't quote me on that.....

S

SenKat

Timelord said:
I don't think you can get goggles for IR but don't quote me on that.....

Oooops - you said don't quote you ! I think it is possible - but then again, I am not too sure how much you could trust the IR filtering glasses - especially when you are talking about lots of IR power - kind of a frightening gamble. I have the 532nm filtered safety glasses - looks like 1950's Buddy Holly specials ;D