Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The right laser for a specific purpose.

Encap

Yes. Totally agree about glasses. Actually I’m thinking about buying the PL-E Pro 3 watt from Jet Lasers. And I will get the goggles that come with it (around $30). From all the good things I’ve read about Jet Lasers and considering the price, I would think those are good goggles. Thoughts? Also I like that this laser has a keyed switch.
I’m an older dad and have little ones. So this will be a strictly OUTDOOR ONLY laser. 3 watts is just too risky inside for me. Also it will be kept in the gun safe. I really like the analogy of a loaded gun....with children, and even teenagers around, such a laser should be locked up. Children are subject to inexperience and teenagers are typically subject to mischief and sometimes outright idiocy IMHO.

Jetlasers PL-E Pro or PL-E mini is an excellent choice, high quality product with many features, + best customer service in the business---you can't go wrong with Jetlasers---they are very proud of the products they make. love their work, and treat their customers like gold. They are not just about "money". An exceptional Chinese company, really.

Thor is just another "me too" low cost laser.

vpierceiii

Counter-intuitively, more power may not help your cause here - The higher powered diodes tend to have less ideal beam specifications, meaning divergence is worse and the dot shape is larger (will appear as a spread out rectangle rather than a round point).
This statement is really peaking my interest. According to this, if I understand it correctly, there is a balance to be struck....raw power vs beam quality vs focus ability. For example, in some situations a 1 watt 405 nm could be better suited than, let’s say, a 2 watt 445 nm?
So if there is a sweet spot for focusing the highest concentration of energy, what would you guys say that is?
And if someone were to choose a 445 nm, what would be your preferred choice in optics?

Try an NDB7875 diode with any short FL aspheric lens. At 2.4 amps you will get ~3 watts of optical power and the divergence is the same as an M140.

vpierceiii

Try an NDB7875 diode with any short FL aspheric lens. At 2.4 amps you will get ~3 watts of optical power and the divergence is the same as an M140.
Thank you. So would the G-2 lens from DTR qualify as a short FL aspheric lens?

You can not count on the Chinese to give you a real 3w diode in the thor, I don't own a thor but have been told by others that they are " OK " so maybe you will get a 3w or maybe a 2w, do you have a LPM to test it ? If not sanwu sells them as well as better lasers, also the diode and driver are only half the equation, the optics are also important.

Think about holding a magnifying glass and lighting a fire, that's all you need on a sunny day, the diameter of the magnifying glass and it's shape do make a difference but a single lens will not let you accomplish your task from 10 feet away unless it's quite large, this is similar to using this multi mode laser diode that's in the thor, up close ( inchers away ) focused tightly it's energy is concentrated tightly enough that it can ignite a piece of paper quickly, but at any real distance it's beam has diverged too much, add the expander and you can reach a little further but it's still very limited as far as it's useful distance. 2 or 3 meters is about it for lighting brown paper if you hold still and use the 3X beam expander they sell with the thor, that's how bad the divergence of these laser diodes really is.

To casually walk by your debris pile and ignite it on the trot the thor will not do, not even close, but if you can hold very still or brace the device such as using a tripod you can get it to impart enough energy to heat a small spot on a brown piece of paper past it's flash point at 2 - 3 yards ( with the beam expander ) so it's not as useful as it seems on the desktop unless you can focus desktop tight at your working distance and hold desktop steady, passing by on the move forget about it.

Last edited:
Also it will be kept in the gun safe. I really like the analogy of a loaded gun....with children, and even teenagers around, such a laser should be locked up.
On this, a laser's pretty inert without it's batteries, so if you're concerned and don't want to lock it all out of reach, store the laser and batteries separately. Gun safe's good too though :) I live in a small-medium town, but when I've walked to the open countryside hills a mile or two away I carry the laser in one pocket and the battery for it in a different one. Saves any accidental pocket fires!

vpierceiii

Lol. We certainly don’t want any pocket fires. I would have never thought of that.
I appreciate you comment about storing the batteries separately. But, you know, a gun is pretty inert without bullets too. Lol
I live in CA....the great state of “if we can teach you a lesson and sue you,we will”. With my luck someone will have batteries and access my laser and hurt themselves or shine it at a plane and then the law/media will criminalize me for careless storage of a laser pointer.
Excuse the hyperbole....but in this world you can’t be too careful......unfortunately.

Excuse the hyperbole....but in this world you can’t be too careful......unfortunately.
No, you are right. In a situation where other people who aren't aware of the dangers potentially have unsupervised access, it's better to restrict it. I don't worry here as I live alone and if there are any guests in my flat, I simply won't let them fool around unsafely given I'm there - but if I had kids or even a housemate who could access my lasers without me being there I'd lock them away too.

This topic is comical. It would be easier to chuck a roadflare.

That being said, buy some black powder. Then point a jetlaser PLE-Pro 465nm at it and enjoy the fire works!
My Jetlaser PLE-Pro 465nm laser outputs 3.8 watts plus. It defeats the top of a folger can in less than 2 seconds
and drills completely through both sides of one in less than 10 seconds. It is a serious fire hazard indoors.
About 200 dollars...a very dangerous class 4 laser, get the Eagle Pair Goggles for it and enjoy the chaos.

Highly recommended. 465nm PLE-Pro 3.5 watt model. Mine is grossly over spec. YMMV.
It burns like mad @ 3.8Watts +

Good Luck...and buy eye protection. You will NEED it!!!

vpierceiii

This topic is comical. It would be easier to chuck a roadflare.

That being said, buy some black powder. Then point a jetlaser PLE-Pro 465nm at it and enjoy the fire works!
My Jetlaser PLE-Pro 465nm laser outputs 3.8 watts plus. It defeats the top of a folger can in less than 2 seconds
and drills completely through both sides of one in less than 10 seconds. It is a serious fire hazard indoors.
About 200 dollars...a very dangerous class 4 laser, get the Eagle Pair Goggles for it and enjoy the chaos.

Highly recommended. 465nm PLE-Pro 3.5 watt model. Mine is grossly over spec. YMMV.
It burns like mad @ 3.8Watts +

Good Luck...and buy eye protection. You will NEED it!!!
Yes I agree there are easier ways to light off a burn pile. But what’s life without whimsy? Lol
I can’t help it....the heart wants what the heart wants. ;)
The PLE Pro 3.5 watt is the model I will buy. Thank you for the recommendation.
But what do you think about the goggles from jet lasers?

PM coming on 3 brand new JL Pro-Pl-Es all black-all full warranty--shipping from Texas FREE!!
450 3.5W & 4W
and 1 pc 520green 800-1W.

many are looking at these so ...first come first served.

Arctos

Hello,

I can answer one of your question! 445nm lasers are produced via diodes, so no IR light is produced in the process. :)

-Alex
Most MM 443/445 etc blues I have measured do have some 800nm+ in the beam weirdly enough..