Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

the max power a dvdrw diode can safely use?

im a noob here and since DX wont ship anything over 5mw to the US it looks like i have to make one. Now i want to power a 20x dvd burner diode with a 9volt battery. My brother is an electrical engineer so all he needs to know is how much power is safe to deliver to a dvdrw diode so he can build a circuit board accordingly. also, will i need a heatsink?

thanks

italianxmna89 said:
im a noob here and since DX wont ship anything over 5mw to the US it looks like i have to make one. Now i want to power a 20x dvd burner diode with a 9volt battery. My brother is an electrical engineer so all he needs to know is how much power is safe to deliver to a dvdrw diode so he can build a circuit board accordingly. also, will i need a heatsink?

thanks
I would just tell you to read the stickies, but I'm feeling nice today. Is it an open can? If it is, you could give it 420mA, with a really good heatsink. Is the diode in a module? It wont focus if it isn't. Jayrob makes excellent heatsinks, made for various MXDL flashlights. You should check them out. This flashlight is a pretty good host, and Jay makes a heatsink for it. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4171 9V batteries aren't very good for lasers; they're built for devices that run for a long time on low current, but you could if you want too. It wont be very pleasing to look at though, it would pretty much be built just so it works. (9V don't fit in flashlights well. ;)) You could probably ask Jay to custom make you a heatsink to fit around your module. It wont look nice, but it would work pretty well.

i have two of these..

dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5914

would a heatsink go over that? i just dont understand how a diode goes into a laser module then a heatsink goes over the module? or the heatsink goes on the diode then fits in the module?

and would this suffice for a housing?

dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8988

the reason why i said 9v was because my bro has project box he was going to use and i was going to use that...but a flashlight housing would be much more professional looking..

daguin

italianxmna89 said:
also, will a laptop dvdrw drive diode work just as well as a regular pc dvdrw drive diode?

Although we have not opened every brand, the diodes in the laptop drives are usually strangely shaped. They will not fit into the modules we use to build a hand held. The will lase, but you will have to become very creative to use them.

Peace,
dave

ill probly just use a regular dvdrw drive diode..

now i was all about ready to order stuff for my first build but before that i'd like to know which laser module, either axiz or a dx one, would output the most without the need of a heatsink. this whole heatsink issue really made me rethink whether or not i should attempt a build. i was hoping for a cheap build... dvdrw drive $15, flashlight houseing-5-$10, laser module-$5, the board my bro could build with parts he already has..then all this talk ive been readin about regarding custom heatsinks going for $25+. so the build i had in mind jumped from $30+ to $50+

so the question is which module transfers its own heat the best and whats the most power i should try and crank out of a diode? i probly wont keep it on for more than 10 seconds at a time.