Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The laser beam changed shape.

Hello friends. I'm new to the forum. I bought a 15w blue laser diode 1 week ago. When the laser came in, it worked fine. But I took out the lens of the laser module and ran it. In the meantime, the laser beam emerging as a rectangle began to form a line. When the laser module lens was reinstalled, the laser power was reduced. This is the picture of the last ray of the laser beam.(When the laser module first came in, the laser beam was in the shape of a rectangle.) I'm very happy if you help. Good forums.

Attachments

• DSC_0319k.jpg
    DSC_0319k.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0320k.jpg
    DSC_0320k.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

first of all as new member please post on the welcome senction and introduce yourself.
as for the laser ,this is not a 15w laser its eround 1-3w at best,as for the output those high power diodes have this rectangular shape and in your picture the output looks normal to me.for the power lose try to charge your batteries.

i dont think that anything is wrong with your laser

edit,just saw your 2nd photo that its module so i guess it doesnt have batteries?

Last edited:

diachi

Do you have a link to the diode you bought? AFAIK there are no 15W blue diodes available. Did you mean 1.5W?

Did you ensure you adjusted the lens correctly when you reinstalled it? The beam is quite clearly unfocused/uncollimated in the image you attached. That can also lead to reduced output power depending on the lens/diode/how you have it adjusted.

With the higher output diodes you don't generally get a round output, not even close, a long rectangle/stripe is the norm.

i dont think that anything is wrong with your laser

I agree, I don't think OP bothered to focus it properly after removing and reinserting the lens. Let's wait and see though!

Last edited:
First of all thank you for the answer. I feed the laser module with 12 volt 5A adapter.

Aww 12V 5A is way to much but i thing the laser operates at 2A using another driver and the adapter is 12V 5A :whistle:
it looks like the diode going out cause of issue could be heat!!

Last edited:
when I first came I cut a 2 mm board. But now it does not burn the wood.

Last edited:

diachi

when I first came I cut a 2 mm board. But now it does not burn the wood.

Did you ensure that the unit is properly focused?

Also, that listing is full of incorrect/misleading information.

I'm sure it's the right focus. I set the laser beam as the smallest spot.
The circle around the laser beam began to form. Could it be in the lens?

Last edited:
If its a plastic lens then yes, It looks like the laser is K/O i seen the same shape in some tests :eek:
you can test it turn the laser on then check the heat it will get very hot around the housing its a sign the diode is failing!!!

Last edited:
Man did you ever overpay for that laser. Just looking at the driver I can tell you it couldn't possibly be 15 watts. Like diachi said, it is most likely 1.5 watts. Can't tell you anything from the two photos you provided. A better picture of the beam profile, or the dot, would be more helpful. You could have bought that same laser on eBay for $50.00.

Encap

thank you. Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with the new lens.:yh::yh:
Was expensive for what it is and it should work and be able to focus--they promote it for engraving with fine point focus.

Return it for refund or replacement if you can