Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Laser Addiction

Hi All,
I have this strange laser addiction since getting the bug to buy one about 2 months ago. Now that I have one, I went ahead and bought another one. So when does this stop, if ever?

I would like to know from forum members, if they´re willing to share, first, ¨How many lasers do you currently own, what power output and models are they, and what got you hooked on lasers?¨ Of course, if you want to add any additional comments that´s fine too. I thought it would be sort of fun and interesting to get a philosophical perspective on this whole thing.

For me, my first laser was a WL 35 Executive. Since then I´m waiting for an Atlas Nova. I got them mainly for astronomy, but I can´t help but marvel about what a kick it is to feel that ¨light power¨or whatever you want to call it, in my hands. It´s just such an uncanny sense about it to point to something blocks, or miles, away and see a beam that appears to defy gravity at such distances. And yet, even though my vision can´t even see the end of the beam, I seem to want more power? I´m held back on the idea of more power though due to safety reasons. I mean, I don´t want to blow out my eyes with an accidental brush of beam through a freak accident. Has anyone here ever had a close call with a direct or indirectly reflected beam across the eye or do you all ALWAYS wear your goggles when you break out your higher powered models? A lot of questions and comments I know. Apologies for the rambling.

I own a Laserglow Aries 225mW, a Glowtorch Red (about 230 mW), a modded e-bay SnocTony 532 nM (about 70mW), a 532 nM laser sight (over 50mW), 3 leadlights of various power from 15-50 mW, an astronomy grade AtlasNova 532 nM, an AtlasNova 635 nM 5 mW, a Z-Bolt 5 mW astronomy pointer, a 5mW luckyduck pointer, and a bunch of cheap reds.

I also have a few 660 nM "Senkat special" modules, AtlasNova low divergence 532 nM module (0.6 mRad), and 2 spare 808nM diodes.

That is my collection since early January of this year...

I use my Wicked Lasers glasses the VAST majority of the time (even with the low powered oned, except my telescope mounted one) - I haven't had any close calls yet, but I'm VERY cautious...

Steve,
Oh man..and I thought I had it bad! Wow, you´ve got quite a collection there. How do you like your Atlas Nova models, particularly the astronomy grade? My newest one was that version but it hasn´t arrived yet. Also, I was thinking about an Aries too. Can you tell me your experiences so far with yours? I´d probably get one around 125mw if I were to get one, but I like their reputation.

Thanks for your comprehensive post. Keep ´em coming.

I really like my AtlasNova pointers and Abe is great to deal with. The Astronomy pointer is bright but not so bright that it will ruin your night vision (as long as it is pointed toward the heavens...) I am looking forward to mounting my low divergence module in a dragon case from wicked lasers.

P

Proctor

I've had high powered laser pointers for almost a year now, and to be honest, they're getting very boring. There's just not enough power after lighting some matches and popping some balloons.

I'm selling the only laser I have now to put towards another hobby which I believe will bring me some fun for a bit of time.

Nitro RC Drift Cars :D

Sure the novelty wears off as too much of any good thing gets old, but after you put it away for a while and then have new friends over... you enthusiasm gets renewed watching thier excitement as you dazzle and amaze!

You have to admit.. there are just not many other things as "cool" as a high powered laser.

For serious micheivious test.. the big ones are nice.. for travel, I really like my dragon.....

I"ve had tons of fun on the fly that I"m not at liberty to discuss for fear someone will take the idea and run and really hurt someone who is caught off guard.. but suffice to say "anybody" that has not seen one of these is blown away with them!

I just want to be clear here... although we can get bored with our toys, a nice laser spices up any experience or travel!

K

kingzilla

Currently I have only a few cheap 5mw red lasers from the dollar store. I have had several other lasers over the past year or so including a 2mw yellow, and 95mw green. This is why I don't get bored of lasers, I always keep them for a while, then sell them and save up for a new one. I never had any goggles, yes, I used a 95mw without gogges :eek: ::) ;D (not recommended) I was always very careful with it and my eyes are still intact. ;) Right now I am saving up for some kind of purple or blue laser, don't know what power or model yet, but, thats the goal.

Proctor said:
I've had high powered laser pointers for almost a year now, and to be honest, they're getting very boring. There's just not enough power after lighting some matches and popping some balloons.

What do you mean.. no power after popping balloons?
Are you saying yours looses power after using it a while?
You must be talking about depleting your battery or such?
Or the laser gets hot and you have to wait afterwards?

Anyway.. I'm getting ready to post pics of my Herc in action with the AC wall adapter powering it.... no more worries about batteries!

T

timelord

windstrings said:
[quote author=Proctor link=1175253065/0#4 date=1175270607]I've had high powered laser pointers for almost a year now, and to be honest, they're getting very boring. There's just not enough power after lighting some matches and popping some balloons.

What do you mean.. no power after popping balloons?
Are you saying yours looses power after using it a while?
You must be talking about depleting your battery or such?
Or the laser gets hot and you have to wait afterwards?

Anyway.. I'm getting ready  to post pics of my Herc in action with the AC wall adapter powering it....  no more worries about batteries!
[/quote]
I think he was being sarcastic windstrings. He's been throwing his toys out of his pram lately and for his efforts to undermine the flow of the forum he's been banned.
I'm looking forward to seeing your conversion of that beasty Herc  ;) :cool: