Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Jacobs Ladder thread

LOL, Anyone wanna be Moe? :na:

Yeah be careful with HV! I've been bitten by an NST before, thankfully only on one hand, and it SUCKS! Make sure you UNPLUG the thing before you go near it. Don't trust your life to a switch. You're correct NSTs will not hold a charge (Unlike my ZVS driver).

Nice score on that NST TJ. That will make a great ladder. If you have any trouble getting the arc to start climbing, as Things pointed out can happen with lower current HV supplies, you can make a gabriel electrode for it. Basically it's a third electrode positioned at the midpoint of the V. Connect the third electrode to one of the HV terminals with a 1M ohm high wattage resistor.

Since the third electrode is attached via the resistor to one of the HV terminals it will float up to the same potential (voltage). A spark will form in the small gap from the third electrode to the adjacent HV terminal. Once current starts flowing the resistor will cause the voltage to dip on the gabriel electrode, and the spark will arc out over the whole gap. It works perfectly. I used it when I made a Jacobs ladder with my 9kv 30mA NST.

More info:
Make a Jacobs ladder.

-Tony

Last edited:

Id Like to Get a NST but max over here is 10kv , So i use MOTs , stupily dangerous But they give good Hot arcs that are resonably Big , I run Mine ballasted so is easyer on the MOTs , I get good arcs @ 4kv @ 600am , No seconds chanses with these though , I would Like to get a custom made HV transformer made oneday i hope , I Did have a ZVS but it died and i never got back to re building It , But MOts Are Ok for me :p But i should get one made for HV really .

I usually read that using MOTs is a bad idea for a jacobs ladder, but if you can get the V set up right to work with just 4kv then go for it. They certainly have the current to pull out the arc!

-Tony

I usually read that using MOTs is a bad idea for a jacobs ladder, but if you can get the V set up right to work with just 4kv then go for it. They certainly have the current to pull out the arc!

-Tony

Yeah They have LOADS of current with resonant Cpas the arcs are even bigger but its not nice on the mots so run times are kinda short ,

YouTube - Microwave Transformer Arcs , Thats @ 4kv .... I have to use a candle to stared the arc , Works great , But I have had Massive Arcs From resonant Non Limited Mots , they can run like that for about 10 seconds befor they start to burn , Over 1 feet Arcs , But MOts are ok , mian problem in the low voltage and not current limited much , but for the size and how easy they are to get , they arnt bad :p

High voltage - One hand behind your back and insulated shoes (and chair) keeps it from finding a route through your heart.

Been bit. Didn't like it.

dnar

Around 15 years ago, I was working on a Sony 3 tube projector repair. I had this thing fixed and running, with a HV probe measuring the EHT. The needle was off the scale, I went in to move the range from 30KV to 45KV and WHAAM!!!!!!! The thing arced and threw me back against the wall.

I was revived by a work mate and there I lay on the floor bleeding from the head (thrown in to a cable rack behind me) and I was dazzed and confused.

That was the last time I ever worked on a 3 tube video projector...

Then came LCD projectors, yeah!

Nice phasing! Yeah I've done that with 3 12/60s, arcs were insane!
I'm in the process of a making a better inductive ballast for my pole pig and then I'll be cookin with 14.4kv at over half and amp! :eg:

Thats insane. :eek:

Hey can I use a PVC pipe for a chicken stick?

Sure you can.
I've used just a screw driver as a chicken stick. But that's not such a good idea. :yabbem:

-Tony

Got the transformer yesterday. Fired it up, and nice big arcs. :eg:

Best $35 I ever spent. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaa

I had to test it before I gave rep to the ebay dude. :whistle:

The only area to test it was on top of the gas stove.
madboom.gif

I love the smell of ozone in the morning. :eg: