Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The diode has large window lenses

I bought a diode that DTR called N450 (but not from DTR).I took pictures of it about a month ago, I tested it with 4.8a and they are very powerful.The incident happened when I had a too-hot test and the lens has burst.It was worse then when I was careless to short circuit, and the diode died.But i do not fret about that, after the die diode i have looked closely at its structure - it is very similar to the diode nubm08.
I think n465 and n520 too, they may be nubm07e and nugmo1t, only the manufacturer has removed the G-ball lens and replaced it and he's a window glass, i see good on this
Maybe among the members using n465 and n520 diodes also realized this, my article just wanted to find out the source of those diodes, and if they are as I think it is great.:yh:
Because the diode died suddenly I did not have the specific picture, but I believe some people have- crazy

Last edited:

yes you are right those diodes are identical to the gball diodes but i would guess that those are not coming directly from the manufacturer with those big window cans,could be a reseller that decanning the gballs and placing those new cans. either way the final products are good but the problem is the very high price compared to the gball diodes(like extra 80-100$ difference from the gball version).

Last edited:

GSS

Good to know even what little info you have. Not many of these N diodes builds and so far I haven't seen just how long they might last??
Till there is more to go on, if i'm going for another high power green I will use a NDG700:)
Showing signs of them being a decanned M01 doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
actually if the resealing method was good without mistakes and also used some gas inside instead of "air" those diodes could be as good as new but we don't have info on those yet aside that we didn't hear yet any random deaths

Thank you for the same level of information, the price is pretty good when I buy them for 60 usd and they are new

Last edited:

smith987

I was thinking to buy a diode but not sure which should buy so I visited many sites and then hp Canada recommend for this forum site and I really get my answer. It really helped me to find the right one.

actually if the resealing method was good without mistakes and also used some gas inside instead of "air" those diodes could be as good as new but we don't have info on those yet aside that we didn't hear yet any random deaths

I have an N465 that's had a bit of use that appears to be holding up ok (@ https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...ection-switchable-output-temp-display.102096/ ). When it's run at high power it's fine, but I have needed to increase the output at the low power setting (granted, it was just above threshold) twice over the last few months to get it to lase at that setting, it will start to lase immediately when cold then after heating up from high power operation and switching back to low power will have output but not laze for a few moments then will start to laze. When I say "heating up" I mean starting at room temp and increasing a few degrees C, it has good temp regulation. The duration of how long it takes to lase increases each use, then I need to change the resistor values for the low power setting of the regulator to give it a hundred or two more milliamps, then the cycle begins again.

One interesting thing I have noticed that's particularly visible when it's not lasing but is also present when it is lasing, is a wide spectrum reflection between deep blue, perhaps around 445nm, extending all the way to dark green adjacent to the beam. It's low in level but is very noticeable when it's not lasing at low power. Not sure if it's a result of contamination in the can or what, never heard of a diode having an output with such a wide spectrum. Lasing output appears to be typical linewidth. I'll post a picture of it so you can see what I'm talking about..

Edit-

BobMC did have an issue with an N450 dying immediately upon powering up at 4.5A, not sure if that was due to a defect in the canning process, an issue with the diode itself as it left the factory or something up with the driver.. but you mentioned something about random deaths..

Last edited:
I really don't care at all for these diodes with ball lenses in them. I would especially not want a carelessly recanned diode because of all the issues brought up here. If I were to get a diode like this, it would be with the ball lens intact and I would remove it myself knowing that it would have a limited lifespan.