Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Test of diodes in NUBM08 block all at once

This is the follow up of the story about NUBM08 block from taobao.

When I finally received the PCBs I tried to solder one of them to the block. Was not easy with my old soldering set of little precision, but finally got it. Not all perfect but OK.

I had a compact Cu HS for P4 and purchased a little more of stuff for this project like 15A rated 12V power supply, Thorlabs adjustable lens holder and 60mm cage rods - here you see the final construction.
The spot pictures are from 29V, 1A (all LDs are connected in series) at 1m and 32V, 2A at 5m. Too much light makes my handy cam not be able to focus well.

The highest current I could get up to now with this power supply-DC booster combination was 3.3A at 34V, I think that I need to buy a 24V power supply to make the input current into booster less than 10A limit.

Anyway maybe no need to exceed the recommended by Nichia maximum of 3.5A... especially with such a small heatsink...

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 60
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 7a.jpg
    7a.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 8a.jpg
    8a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 71

Gosh awful beam profiles but pretty damn cool nonetheless!! Thx for sharing!!
SGD:beer:

Benm

Those look both horrible as beams (to be expected from multimode), but also pretty badly aligned among eachother too. From the beam pattern you'd almost thing it was 3 rows of diodes instead of two :D

Yes, I agree - they are not perfectly aligned but better than in A130 block.
And all the beams would diverge into one thick beam at long ditance I suppose.

Here a pic of the beams into a 3mm thick A4 black PVC sheet at 5m. It became a little melted after 10 or 15 seconds at 3A. Another black sheet (1mm thick Polystyrene) already started to melt at 1A.

I also attached a thermal sensor to the block surface and kept the thing several minutes at 3A - the temperature rose to 63.2ºC and stabilised there. It looked to hot anyway - I am thinking to replace this heatsink for a bigger one.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 45
  • ba.jpg
    ba.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 43
  • ca.jpg
    ca.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Benm

Oh i'm sure there is pretty much power in the individual beams - if you power only one of the diodes in the block you'd probably also be able to melt plastic at the same distance. You'd just get 1 somewhat narrower hole instead of this messy combined pattern.

Also, will you be repainting the kitchen soon? :D