Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tesla with laser

Love the photos, Anthony. I see you had a bit of a focusing issue with the size of your coil and the beams, but it still looks great. Thanks for the eye candy.

Very cool pictures. I might have to get myself a Tesla coil.

So cool how it appears the sparks are twirling through the air. Is that an AC effect or what? Electrons with spin?

These are SWEEEEEET!!! TY for sharing!!

Thanks guys! Yes as Paul said AC.

@ Paul no, no problem with focusing as I wanted the tesla and sparks in focus not the laser! ;) I could have increased the depth of field with a higher F-Stop but that would have given a much longer exposure and you wouldnt have seen the individual "lightning rods"! :D :beer:

Well, you got the effect you were looking for. Is that Tesla coil one of those kits you can buy on eBay? It looks like one. They do have some that are not very expensive and I was wondering if yours might be one. :thanks: + Rep.

Last edited:

Benm

Cool stuff. Is there any way you can influence the sparks with the lasers?

I know it's theoretically possible with enough light flux through an area, but no idea how close or far these lasers approach that when focused to a pinprick right near the coil.

Beautiful pics Grainde. :beer:

Cool stuff. Is there any way you can influence the sparks with the lasers?

I know it's theoretically possible with enough light flux through an area, but no idea how close or far these lasers approach that when focused to a pinprick right near the coil.

I'd think it wouldn't do a whole lot. :thinking:
Even if you use a pulsed laser (Like the SSY-1 or bigger) you're only creating a small point of plasma for a fraction of a second. Maybe if you could get continuous breakdown or a larger area? It would be a fun experiment though.

Benm

That was my line of though: create a small air breakdown with the laser beam, so the tesla coil has the start of a conductive path, and you could roughly control which direction the streamers go.

I think it can only work with a pulsed laser though to get the energy density required. It can be done with a pulse energy of just a few 100 millijoules, but these pulses must be -fast-.

The average optical output power of a laser capable of air breakdown is lower than the handhelds you used, you can do it with 1 watt average optical output and generate a few sparks a second.

Another option would be UV lasers: UV light will disrupt molecular bonds as is used in ozone generators, but i'm sure about the wavenlength required - this may be 300 nm or less, so not really available. Perhaps the 355 nm lasers could do it, not sure.