Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tesla Coil Stuff

PersonMcperson

Does anyone know where to buy a reasonably powerful tesla coil for at maximum 10,000 yen(91.57 USD)?
I want one that can make some acceptable sparks (minimum 2 cm I guess, but larger would be preferred).

Last edited:

Anthony P

Do you have a specific purpose in mind? There are numerous ways to build your own. An ignition coil or a flyback transformer with a 555 and a transistor or two. Either will easily give you 2 cm or more. You can also wind your own and use a neon sign transformer as primary.
You can try searching e-bay for bd10 Tesla coil. They used to be sold as some sort of quack medical device. These are actually Oudin coils which are very similar to Tesla coils.
I would avoid some of the super cheap kits that say "micro" or "mini". You will be disappointed.

PersonMcperson

Do you have a specific purpose in mind? There are numerous ways to build your own. An ignition coil or a flyback transformer with a 555 and a transistor or two. Either will easily give you 2 cm or more. You can also wind your own and use a neon sign transformer as primary.
You can try searching e-bay for bd10 Tesla coil. They used to be sold as some sort of quack medical device. These are actually Oudin coils which are very similar to Tesla coils.
I would avoid some of the super cheap kits that say "micro" or "mini". You will be disappointed.
Ok.
Thanks for the advice.
I’ve decided to make my new year’s resolution “building a tesla coil”.
I’m gonna make a solid state tesla coil since I live in an apartment and don’t exactly want the noise of a spark gap TC.

Anthony P

Keep in mind that in an apartment, a large enough coil will wreak havoc on your neighbor's electronic devices. When I hand wound a coil years ago, I did an inch or two at a time (till I got bored) and then varnished what I had done. Also, your primary should be designed to be adjustable so that it can be "tuned" for max output. Resonance is the key. It is like pushing a child on a swing. If you hit him with a giant hammer he just flails about, If you give gentle well timed pushes he will soar.

PersonMcperson

All i have to worry about now is the circuit.
Which is gonna be tricky since SSTCs are quite complicated.

PersonMcperson

I finished winding the coil in about 4 hours.

Attachments

• 1F708AAF-933F-4228-9DBA-5C2E22D86F58.jpeg
    1F708AAF-933F-4228-9DBA-5C2E22D86F58.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 6