Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tektronix scope

You misunderstand. It's not a voltage derating.

Here's an example: 1mhz 50Vp-p input
On a 1mhz scope you'd see 25vp-p. Signal appears as 3dB down.
On that 1mhz scope a 10mhz 50vp-p signal appears as ~50mVp-p; ~9dB down. *math not double checked.

See you see higher frequencies weaker and weaker, the 300V pk is the physical limit of the hardware. Get a 10x probe and it becomes 3kV. (Typically probes are rated to 600V though even when 10x, but HV probes do exist. I have a 100x 2kV one).

For anyone interested in the Rigol 1052E Amazon currently has it for less than $5 more than DX with prime shipping (or actually $15 less with free standard shipping). They also have the 1102E for 399 with both free standard or prime shipping. If he prices stay the same I'm probably going to spend the extra $25 on the 1102E and not have to worry about relying on a hack to get the higher bandwidth.

Glad to be of help!

One day I hope to be in the financial situation where I can comfortably get a DSO and a function gen. Right now it's just a pipe dream.

djQUAN

Glad to be of help!

One day I hope to be in the financial situation where I can comfortably get a DSO and a function gen. Right now it's just a pipe dream.

If you do get the cash, I would suggest you get an arbitrary waveform generator rather than a function gen. They both produce signals but the arbitrary waveform gen does a lot more like have AM/FM/PFM modulation, pulse, burst, noise, adjustable DC offset/duty cycle or you could even make your own waveforms :) A little more pricey but it does a lot more. I got my Agilent 33120A second hand but I find it really useful.

Last I looked AWG's were several thousand dollars by themselves, did they come down significantly since? I've seen some nice ones though that have special sweep functions and such, very cool.

djQUAN

I found mine on ePay a couple years ago at about $500 and saw the others (same model) selling at over $1000 so I snagged it. Was used but refurbished and in really good condition. :)

The neat thing with my Agilent unit, I found a service manual online so I have full details of calibrating and schematics of it.

edit: here's a Rigol available in DX
http://www.dx.com/p/rigol-dg1022-3-...bitrary-waveform-generator-66126#.VBkPcBb4XXU

Last edited: