Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TEC cooled Diode testing station, suggestions?

Dremels, Hacksaws, and the occasional spade bit.

That's what I use. ABS is easy to work with!

Dremels, Hacksaws, and the occasional spade bit.

That's what I use. ABS is easy to work with!

My dremel broke, so I have been melting a hole somewhere inside the plastic that is to be cut, then using my hacksaw to cut out the piece i need. My only problem is that hacksawing turns really sloppy after a bit, and it's hard to keep it neat. I end up with rough edges and amateur looking cuts (fit for the amateur me I guess :p). I heard using a propane soldering iron with a hot knife bit is OK, but I doubt the knife bit would last very long.

Regards,

amk

I'm usually able to clean up any nasty edges with a knife, but I do know that some soldering irons come with a hot knife tip attachment..

Last edited:
any update on this? I've recently gotten a few TECs. 40x40mm and 30x30mm and I was looking for some info to make a project a lot like yours.

I've got the PCB planed out, somewhat.

I'm waiting on an arduino, then I can put everything together.

So I'm kinda resurrecting this thread from the dead because I actually have it all good to go now and ready to build by the end of may.

I'm taking an ECE class at the university for the arduino, so that's going to be in there for sure. I found some ME's that can machine some heatsinks for the TEC assembly, so a proof-of-concept will be ready soon.

Any help is still appreciated!

Regards,

Amk

Updated the first post with link to finished prototype. Very cool, works, easy to assemble.